Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Latest Threads
M2N32-SLI Deluxe AM3 Support Request
Last Post: Alxstroi
Yesterday 11:08 PM
» Replies: 105
» Views: 71384
[Request] HP Elitebook 6930P WLAN Whitel...
Last Post: Maxinator500
Yesterday 10:51 PM
» Replies: 17
» Views: 6601
[REQUEST] Lenovo G50-30 (A7CNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: carmelletomato
Yesterday 07:29 PM
» Replies: 46
» Views: 22087
[REQUEST] Lenovo G50-70 (9ACNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: colin89
Yesterday 06:04 PM
» Replies: 140
» Views: 41029
[REQUEST + BOUNTY] Lenovo Thinkpad P14s ...
Last Post: loadit
Yesterday 02:23 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 103
[REQUEST] Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (76CNxxWW) W...
Last Post: Dudu2002
Yesterday 10:53 AM
» Replies: 845
» Views: 317262
[REQUEST] Lenovo Thinkpad E130 (H4ETxxWW...
Yesterday 10:51 AM
» Replies: 509
» Views: 101109
[REQUEST] Lenovo Yoga 11E (N15ETxxW) Whi...
Yesterday 08:15 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 2526
[REQUEST] CPU Support for Ryzen 5 3600 o...
Last Post: flexpavillion
Yesterday 04:32 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 342
Clevo P775TM1-G BIOS
Last Post: ActivatedNut
Yesterday 01:36 AM
» Replies: 145
» Views: 55346
ASUS P5G41T-M LX2/GB Unlocked Hidden Ove...
Last Post: GangsteR23
03-27-2024 04:58 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 64140
lenovo z570 Advanced Menu Unlocked
Last Post: Kaluva12345
03-27-2024 04:58 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 4105
Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q 2nd Gen & AMD R...
Last Post: RedfieldHUN1987
03-27-2024 09:23 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 152
L14 Gen 3 AMD , Need UEFI unlock advance...
Last Post: frankeinstein2532555
03-27-2024 04:08 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 102
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y400 & Y500 (6BCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: freedome
03-26-2024 11:00 PM
» Replies: 188
» Views: 52236
[REQUEST] Lenovo G510 (79CNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: ghostinoss
03-26-2024 09:21 PM
» Replies: 655
» Views: 167340
[Request] CPU support for Lenovo IQ57I
Last Post: DeathBringer
03-26-2024 10:02 AM
» Views: 244
unlocked Bios for Machenike s16
03-26-2024 09:06 AM
» Views: 336
[REQUEST] Bios Unlock Whitelist HP DV6-6...
Last Post: DimanTLT63
03-26-2024 03:03 AM
» Views: 150
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion G6-1252ss Whitelis...
Last Post: joseefitness
03-26-2024 01:40 AM
» Views: 135

I want to become a BIOS modder
Manufacturer: Sony
Notebook Model: VAIO VGN-N250E/b
Motherboard Model: MBX-160 MS71 Rev: 1.1
BIOS Revision: R0070J4
BIOS Type: Phoenix BIOS
BIOS Download Link:
[attachment=5585] <- Confirmed flashable R0070J4 BIOS image
[attachment=5586] <- Modded(IntelMenu).ROM

RW Everything Report Download Link: [attachment=5587] <- (I had to put the ".doc" extension on the end of the file name, because the site wouldn't let me upload it, just remove the ".doc".)

I want to modify my own BIOS (to add options/menus) and eventually participate in the BIOS modding community. I have already succeeded in enabling/disabling features (AHCI, VT-x, Service/Repair Mode, Phoenix Info Screen, adding items to boot menu, etc.) using the NVRAM registers. In PBE and HxD (Hex editor), I have succeeded in adding a hidden Intel menu and placing options in menus of my choice (I used PBE as an emulator). I have learned to find token IDs' function(s) by tracing strings to their respective token id's in TEMPLAT0.ROM.

The problems I am having are as follows:
1.) I need a guide on how to create a flashable BIOS dump. EDIT: I have created my own CONFIRMED WORKING flashable BIOS image using platform data from a WORKING R0030J4 BIOS image. I am going to re-upload it in place of the previous bios dump.
2.) I have read about PBE causing problems when extracting and/or repacking the BIOS. How can I safely (as possible) unpack and repack my BIOS? EDIT: Problem answered, now I am having trouble repacking the image with PhoenixTool (4 bytes too big).

I know that I am asking for a lot, but this will allow me to start modding BIOS's. Any help is highly appreciated. Thank-you.

!!!!!PLEASE READ!!!!!! Our Ukrainian friends are undergoing atrocities right now and need support. There are two things you can do for starters:

1.) Donate to one of various organizations offering medical, military, and psychological support to those impacted: Support Organizations

2.) Combat misinformation on social media. 

Also, please feel free to PM me if I have not replied again about your BIOS mod request after 5 days.
www find
Hi Sml,

For rebuilding the BIOS and repackaging it into something flashable, I recommend using Phoenix SLIC tool (D/L http://www.sendspace.com/file/xxd63k)

This will let you manipulate the ROMs and SAFELY rebuild the BIOS rom. It does a really nice job of verifying the checksums and making sure it is ready for flashing. There are some examples of how to use the tool floating around the forums. Look at the Phoenix Unlocking procedures on the site to find this info.

Regards,
DarthDaddy
find
(08-13-2013, 07:12 PM)Sml6397 Wrote: Manufacturer: Sony
Notebook Model: VAIO VGN-N250E/b
Motherboard Model: MBX-160
BIOS Revision: R0070J4
BIOS Type: Phoenix BIOS
BIOS Download Link:
<- UntouchedBIOS.ROM
<- Modded(IntelMenu).ROM

RW Everything Report Download Link: <- (I had to put the ".doc" extension on the end of the file name, because the site wouldn't let me upload it, just remove the ".doc".)

I want to modify my own BIOS (to add options/menus) and eventually participate in the BIOS modding community. I have already succeeded in enabling/disabling features (AHCI, VT-x, Service/Repair Mode, Phoenix Info Screen, adding items to boot menu, etc.) using the NVRAM registers. In PBE and HxD (Hex editor), I have succeeded in adding a hidden Intel menu and placing options in menus of my choice (I used PBE as an emulator). I have learned to find token IDs' function(s) by tracing strings to their respective token id's in TEMPLAT0.ROM.

The problems I am having are as follows:
1.) I need a guide on how to create a flashable BIOS dump.
2.) I have read about PBE causing problems when extracting and/or repacking the BIOS. How can I safely (as possible) unpack and repack my BIOS?

For creating a flashable BIOS, I know I need some kind of configuration/platform data from another BIOS update.exe (same series, same chipset). I've already extracted a .wph file (UniExtract) from a R0030J4 BIOS ( (again, I had to add a different file extension for it to upload, just remove the ".rom")), but I don't know what to do with it...

I know that I am asking for a lot, but this will allow me to start modding BIOS's. Any help is highly appreciated. Thank-you.

your last bios R0104J4
http://rghost.ru/4933759
find
I've successfully made a 100% flashable BIOS backup using platform data from the R0030J4 BIOS. I unpacked the BIOS image using PhoenixTool. I modified TEMPLAT0.ROM to add the Intel menu. I did NOT change the file size (same size down to the last byte, 35072 before, and 35072 bytes after), but when I go to repack it (I am not using SLIC, etc.), it says "New TEMPLAT0.ROM Module is 4 bytes too big TEMPLAT0.ROM not reintegrated Unable to reintegrate TEMPLAT0.ROM ." I can fix this by going to the advanced menu > Dynamic Size Options > Preserve module size , and unchecking Preserve Model Size, but when I repack it and do a byte by byte comparison with HxD, there are tons of modifications. I checked said image with Phoenix BIOS editor, and the Intel menu that I added was there and functioning. Here is a screenshot: [attachment=5597] . Any idea what I am doing wrong? I know that the file size is the same.

!!!!!PLEASE READ!!!!!! Our Ukrainian friends are undergoing atrocities right now and need support. There are two things you can do for starters:

1.) Donate to one of various organizations offering medical, military, and psychological support to those impacted: Support Organizations

Also, please feel free to PM me if I have not replied again about your BIOS mod request after 5 days.
www find
Anyone have any idea why PhoenixTool would be saying that the file is 4 bytes too big, when it is the exact same size as before editing?

www find
Anyone?

www find
I am still having trouble with the file being "4 bytes too long." I am 100% sure that the file is the EXACT same size. Please refer to the above post for a screenshot of this. Does anyone have any advice or ways to fix this problem? Any help would be highly appreciated.

EDIT: I HAVE SOLVED THE ISSUE. I am going to post what I did for reference of other users like me who are just beginning to get into BIOS modding.

www find
UPDATE:

Man, it's been a while since I made this thread. I noticed that it could use some explanation on the last post!

If you are trying to repack with PhoenixTool a Phoenix BIOS image where you have modified one or more of the extracted modules from the DUMP folder and you get an error saying "Unable to reintegrate TEMPLAT00.ROM" and "New TEMPLAT00.ROM Module is X bytes too big" (replacing TEMPLAT00.ROM with the name of the module that can't be re-integrated and X with the number of bytes too large), then PhoenixTool is having trouble compressing the edited module back to its original size. To solve this, replace some bytes with a sequence of identical characters (for instance, replace "3F 0E 78 2A ..." with "00 00 00 00 ...". Don't do this to anything important!

For the TEMPLAT module (which handles the BIOS Setup Utility screen) specifically:
For instance, if there are settings that aren't used or setting jump tables (which control the order of settings in the menus) that aren't being used, you can replace all of the hex code for those with 00's. As always, be sure not to change the size of the file. In a lot of non-UEFI Phoenix BIOS images, there is a setup table for an Information Menu right before the Major Offset Jump Table (the section of bytes very near the beginning of the file that specifies which parent menus show up on the BIOS Setup Utility screen). This Information Menu just displays statistics about the computer and often isn't even linked (not by default in the Major Offset Jump Table), so its code can be overwritten if you do not intend to add the menu to your BIOS Setup Utility screen. There is usually a better solution though, as follows.

In most Phoenix BIOS images, there is a string in the last third of the TEMPLAT module that is "PCI SCSI: LSI MPI Boot Support". This can be replaced with spaces (ASCII/text editing) or with 00 bytes (hex editing). This string is 30 bytes in length, so making it all a sequence of one character allows for a lot of compression, in turn enabling very extensive mods). This is the best way to fix the "too many bytes" error.

Hope this helps someone! This prevented me from fully learning how to BIOS mod for months.

~Steven

www find
Hi, what software should i use after using Phoenix tool to DUMP bios files?
find
Hello waayo169,

Are you looking for a BIOS mod or are you looking to modify the BIOS yourself? I can help either way.

If you are looking for a BIOS mod, could you let me know which notebook model you have?

If you are looking to modify it yourself, grab the STRINGS and TEMPLAT files from the DUMP directory and copy them to another directory. These are the files you will be using to modify the BIOS. The names of the settings and menus show up in the STRINGS module and the actual modifications will take place in the TEMPLAT module, which handles the layout of the BIOS menus.

I use a hex editor (HxD) to perform the edits. You can also use a utility called Phoenix BIOS Editor (PBE) to preview what your changes will look like in the actual BIOS menus, but this is not required for the modification process. I'll await your response before posting more.

Let me know what you are looking to do. I do plan on finishing my guide on the BIOS-Mods Wiki titled "How to Unlock Phoenix BIOS Images". I will do so likely some time early this summer.

www find