Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Latest Threads
[REQUEST] Bios Unlock Request Clevo W230...
Last Post: happycrazyman
Yesterday 03:53 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 55
Rog Strix B650E-F BIOS File Extraction
Last Post: panmetrix24
Yesterday 11:25 AM
» Views: 73
[REQUEST] Lenovo G50-70 (9ACNxxWW) White...
Last Post: Pipo89
Yesterday 06:47 AM
» Replies: 236
» Views: 69427
[REQUEST] Acer Nitro 5 AN517-41 BIOS Unl...
Last Post: onetapxdf
Yesterday 03:37 AM
» Replies: 11
» Views: 1321
[REQUEST] Lenovo G400S (7BCNxxWW) Whitel...
Last Post: Dudu2002
Yesterday 03:14 AM
» Replies: 203
» Views: 70432
[REQUEST] Lenovo V570(c) (44CNxxWW) BIOS...
Last Post: d3m3n7r
04-22-2024 05:20 PM
» Replies: 18
» Views: 11128
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y520-15IKBN (4KCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: ati90
04-22-2024 05:02 AM
» Replies: 64
» Views: 36920
[REQUEST] Lenovo G580 (5ECNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: SteamTug
04-22-2024 04:24 AM
» Replies: 1734
» Views: 544772
[REQUEST] Lenovo G410 (79CNxxWW) Whiteli...
04-22-2024 03:58 AM
» Replies: 53
» Views: 10736
Asus h110m-a & xeon e3-1280v5
Last Post: Brutoloco
04-21-2024 08:22 PM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 530
[REQUEST] LG GRAM 14T990 Unlock request
Last Post: riclausk
04-21-2024 12:15 PM
» Replies: 16
» Views: 4224
[REQUEST] SLIC 2.1 for ASRock 880GM-LE F...
Last Post: amijim
04-21-2024 10:27 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 119
[REQUEST] Dell Alienware 15 R3 BIOS Unlo...
Last Post: jason.exe
04-21-2024 03:44 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 171
[REQUEST] Samsung NP450R5G unlock hide s...
Last Post: magg
04-21-2024 12:54 AM
» Views: 169
lenovo e595 20nf bios spw unlock
Last Post: vsteez
04-20-2024 07:56 PM
» Views: 164
uefi mod for mac pro 1.1/21. support xeo...
Last Post: victorgbrmrr
04-20-2024 01:17 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 177
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y50-70 (9ECNxxWW) BIOS ...
04-20-2024 07:24 AM
» Replies: 1973
» Views: 660122
[REQUEST] Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E531 (HEE...
Last Post: MAVARACOMPLEX
04-20-2024 03:23 AM
» Replies: 121
» Views: 22224
[REQUEST] - ACER ASPIRE 2012 BIOS with U...
Last Post: Aspire
04-20-2024 03:21 AM
» Views: 135
[WORKING] Asus P8Z77-V: NVMe BOOT Suppor...
Last Post: 0nlythebest
04-19-2024 08:35 PM
» Replies: 21
» Views: 22955

2x Xeon E5-2687W ES B0 stepping on Asus Z9PE-D8 WS
Hello,

I would like to add support for my e5-2687w Engineering Sample processor to my ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS Motherboard.

Currently, I can use that processor in my ASUS P9X79 Pro without problems, so I am hoping that the P9X79 Pro microcode can be of help with this problem.

Please let me know if there are other files that I need to upload in order to help this.

Thanks!
Cyra

Attached Files
.zip   P9X79-PRO-ASUS-0906.zip (Size: 3.17 MB / Downloads: 13)
.zip   Z9PE-D8-WS-ASUS-0311.zip (Size: 3.31 MB / Downloads: 10)
find
Unfortunately, the problem with Z9PE-D8 WS and ES1/ES2 versions of Xeon E5 is >not< the microcode.

Yesterday I disassembled the BIOS and checked the microcode BLOB of Z9PE-D8-WS and I confirm it contains the microcode for the ES1/ES2.

I even tried replacing the entire microcode BLOB with the P9X79 Pro microcode BLOB (from the 0709 BIOS which works with E5 ES) but it does not help. Then, I tried replacing CPU PEI and DXE drivers, microcode update driver and many more... unfortunately, every attempt still leads to 5A error Sad

As it seems, the boot sequence in Z9PE-D8-WS goes as follows -> ... 67 --> 69 --> 5A which means that the board gets stuck either during or immediately after the "System Agent DXE initialization". The next step (which happens in normal circumstances) is 6A "System Agent SMM initialization". Obviously something wrong happens in between 69 and 6A or during the 69 step.

Unfortunately I am not an EFI expert and I do not have time available to debug this in greater detail... I guess the best would be if somebody would leak beta BIOS for Z9PE-D8-WS which still worked with ES1/ES2 silicon and hope that this beta BIOS is stable enough for day to day use... I doubt that ASUS will fix the ES boot issue in the retail BIOS as the number of people using those is probably very low.
find
That is very discouraging. I take it that you happen to have this exact motherboard and processor as well =/

I will send ASUS a notice of the problem and hopefully you can as well. Perhaps a BIOS update will come out that fixes it.
find
I tried two more things some minutes ago:

* Using Z9PE-D16 BIOS (ASUS server board) and flashing it to Z9PE D8 WS chip --> same issue, stuck at 5A
* Trying to transplant some modules from Supermicro X9DAi BIOS --> I ended up with no boot, I suppose I copied too much

It is really hunting in the dark here, as you have nothing more than a two digit number for debugging... If I could have JTAG and more output regarding >where< exactly the boot it stuck, it would be much easier...

There was a pre-release BIOS 0303 as it could be seen in some of the online review photos covering the Z9PE-D8-WS

Unfortunately this is an internal pre-release BIOS, but it might actually still support ES2 silicon... Now, the question is if ASUS would be so kind to provide it.
find
OK, after one long night I think I know at least where the problem is:

- QPI and MRC driver (most likely)
- SB driver (maybe)

The first driver's responsibility is so-called "QPI and Memory Reference Code". OEMs use the reference source code provided by Intel and then subsequently change it to fit their motherboard design. The second one is, I suppose, related to the southbridge.

Why I suspect that it is the QPIandMrc driver? Well, this is the code where you implement various errata handling strategies related to the various silicon steppings. It could very well be that ASUS just removed older code paths handling specific behaviors of A1/B0/B1 silicon.

Thing is - you cannot just swap this driver from a board that works... If you try to do it, you will immediately be hit with 55 error during boot (CPU cannot see the memory), which suggests that this code is most likely customized to the specific board layout.

Funny thing is, swapping QpiAndMrc from Z9PE-D16 will work, but you will not solve the 5A issue. Swapping QpiAndMrc from P9X79 Pro or Supermicro x9dai will end up with error #55.

Another interesting thing I noticed when looking into those EFI drivers - it appears Supermicro QpiAndMrc driver is almost the same as Intel's W2600CR, including the debug symbols that are still in. ASUS drivers are much smaller in size, and do not have debug symbols. I suppose ASUS changed/extended this code heavily as they allow memory voltage tweaking unlike Intel or Supermicro.

So, all in all... this means that the only way ES1/ES2 silicon could work is that ASUS fixes this issue, or leaks some older BIOS image. Unfortunately I do not have the tooling necessary to debug this as this would require at least AMI DebugRx dongle and probably also JTAG connection to the board itself.
find
From what I have been able to access, there are quite a few possibilities - but after having tried quite a few combinations and been talking to the supplier it begins to emerge that it might be a microcode problem after all.

The thing is, that having tried my 2 Intel Xeon ES (QAMT - Stepping B1) they refused to work, both in Asus Z9PE-D8 WS and SuperMicro X9DR3-LN4F+O (that also, with a combination of 3 different PSU's, 4 different GPU's, 3 different RAM types, this combined with shifting the placement of the VGA/GPU (on some site people claim that that is having an effect of the 5A error - in regards to CPU1 or CPU2 PCIE lines) and trying both 1 and 2 active CPU's.

But, the supplier have successfully gotten some Intel Xeon ES (QA92 - Stepping B0) to work in both the Asus Z9PE-D8 WS and the SuperMicro X9DAi (and has proven it with a CPU-Z screenshot to me (not verified though - but supplier is trustable).

At least for me it must be the microcode difference between the B0 and B1 stepping that could be causing havok (I remember that my older Asus P6T6 could run the i920 C0 stepping on all BIOS'es, but had to upgrade to 0407 to be able to run the D0 stepping). Or maybe I am grasping at straws.

At least if we compile a list with exact stepping information and motherboards revision number/bios we would be able to get a more full overview of what will and will not work.

[edited]
Searching the internet, I have found several claiming to have the Intel Xeon ES work on the Asus Z9PE-D8 motherboard.

Code:
Stepping name ** CPU-Z step ** Stepping codename ** Number observed
QA92          ** 2          **                   ** 1
QA91          ** 2          **                   ** 1
              ** 2          **                   ** 2
QB7R          ** 5          ** C0                ** 5
No screenshots of CPU-Z or similar seen:
QAMT          **            **                   ** 1
QB7R          **            **                   ** 1
[/edited]

Best regards
find
I have no X9DAi POST w/ single ES 3.0GHz Q-spec QA92, even though I've heard it works on it. Screen shot of working ES on Z9PE-D8 WS is here: http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g365...87w1-1.png
find
From one of the supplier of these ES 3.0GHz CPUs: "Hi, in our ongoing compatibility testing of these processors, we have noticed the issue you mentioned. Also, some of our clients also have conflicting reports on the processors' compatibility with certain board (some claims it works on certain board, and some claims it will not on the exactly same board with same bios). this is very strange indeed and we are currently working on it to see if we can find a pattern for the issue."
find
I am having a similar problem with X9DAI with ES chips and no post.I have removed memory and powered up with just cpu's on the board and I get 6 beeps. Could this be issues with the chips or board or memory?
So far been told memory modules were wrong and not compatible with this board? I have tried both Hynix HMT31GR7BFR4C-PB 8GB MODULES and HMT351R7BFR4C 4GB and various other older hynix 1333 mhz ecc registered ram.

Please advice if there could be bios or cpu issues?Has anyone with the ES samples tried without memory?
If its more memory related which memory does work on it?

I have an supermicro X9DAI and having problems with ES chip.Its not posting and I have tried various memory.I tried without memory with just cpu and seems I get 6 beeps. Is the cpu faulty or board or is it wrong memory?
Memory I have used are hynix HMT31GR7BFR4C-PB and HMT351R7BFR4C-PB.
Any advice?
find
The board is so new very few memory sticks are listed as compatible on Supermicro's website. I found and ordered on of the listed today, so that should eliminate memory component. I will let you know how it goes i suppose by Thursday. Anyone knows BIOS version they ship X9DAi with?
find