Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow On Facebook

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[-]
Welcome
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username:

Password:

[-]
Latest Threads
M2N32-SLI Deluxe AM3 Support Request
Last Post: Alxstroi
Yesterday 11:08 PM
» Replies: 105
» Views: 71374
[Request] HP Elitebook 6930P WLAN Whitel...
Last Post: Maxinator500
Yesterday 10:51 PM
» Replies: 17
» Views: 6598
[REQUEST] Lenovo G50-30 (A7CNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: carmelletomato
Yesterday 07:29 PM
» Replies: 46
» Views: 22065
[REQUEST] Lenovo G50-70 (9ACNxxWW) BIOS ...
Last Post: colin89
Yesterday 06:04 PM
» Replies: 140
» Views: 41011
[REQUEST + BOUNTY] Lenovo Thinkpad P14s ...
Last Post: loadit
Yesterday 02:23 PM
» Replies: 3
» Views: 103
[REQUEST] Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro (76CNxxWW) W...
Last Post: Dudu2002
Yesterday 10:53 AM
» Replies: 845
» Views: 317251
[REQUEST] Lenovo Thinkpad E130 (H4ETxxWW...
Yesterday 10:51 AM
» Replies: 509
» Views: 101104
[REQUEST] Lenovo Yoga 11E (N15ETxxW) Whi...
Yesterday 08:15 AM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 2526
[REQUEST] CPU Support for Ryzen 5 3600 o...
Last Post: flexpavillion
Yesterday 04:32 AM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 342
Clevo P775TM1-G BIOS
Last Post: ActivatedNut
Yesterday 01:36 AM
» Replies: 145
» Views: 55344
ASUS P5G41T-M LX2/GB Unlocked Hidden Ove...
Last Post: GangsteR23
03-27-2024 04:58 PM
» Replies: 25
» Views: 64139
lenovo z570 Advanced Menu Unlocked
Last Post: Kaluva12345
03-27-2024 04:58 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 4105
Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q 2nd Gen & AMD R...
Last Post: RedfieldHUN1987
03-27-2024 09:23 AM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 152
L14 Gen 3 AMD , Need UEFI unlock advance...
Last Post: frankeinstein2532555
03-27-2024 04:08 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 102
[REQUEST] Lenovo Y400 & Y500 (6BCNxxWW) ...
Last Post: freedome
03-26-2024 11:00 PM
» Replies: 188
» Views: 52234
[REQUEST] Lenovo G510 (79CNxxWW) Whiteli...
Last Post: ghostinoss
03-26-2024 09:21 PM
» Replies: 655
» Views: 167326
[Request] CPU support for Lenovo IQ57I
Last Post: DeathBringer
03-26-2024 10:02 AM
» Views: 243
unlocked Bios for Machenike s16
03-26-2024 09:06 AM
» Views: 335
[REQUEST] Bios Unlock Whitelist HP DV6-6...
Last Post: DimanTLT63
03-26-2024 03:03 AM
» Views: 150
[REQUEST] HP Pavilion G6-1252ss Whitelis...
Last Post: joseefitness
03-26-2024 01:40 AM
» Views: 134

Serial/Part Number Generator,Naming a built PC, Giving it a serial/part number
Question 
Hello to one and all, this is my first post after taking a bit of time to look around and read through the bios tutorial mod section, as well as looked at some of the post's in the unlock request / unlocked bios pages. I am not seeking to make a request for a modded bios, If it was for just one computer that I use then maybe, but at the same time I would like to learn to do my self so as not to keep asking for someone to do it for me.

My question here is two fold.

Modding the bios is a step I'm willing to and ready to learn how to, or as I have stated below, maybe this not as simple as I may have thought, I at least want to try as I have moved from building a few system's for my self to learn and teach my self over the years. I am in the process of moving in to building custom modded computers, I have have been searching and trying to find the most efficient way to.

1) "generate serial numbers" and "part numbers" for computers that I have built and computers that I am building. I have found a few programs that will do this and I just have to figure out which one is the best to use for this, unless that is if someone here can point to a program they know of.

But even after I have a program to Generate serial numbers and Part numbers, it really is just that a number that I have but with no way to use it, to give the computer it's name and serial and part number.

2) This is the most important If I'm not mistaken the "serial number" and "part number" and the "manufacture name" are entered in to the bios? I have tired to change my own computers through computer management and even tried to look through the bios file with word pad and I even tried to edit the registry with no luck.

That is if, the "serial number" and "Part number" and "manufacture name" are normally written in to the bios? Or is it a hidden file that is read by the bios and OS to display this info.

As of right now it states "To be filled in by OEM" with NO "serial number" or "Part number" or name, Now If this is not the case, then how should I or would I go about correcting this?

I was hoping that I may find someone here that could help in answering this, how do I give the computer it's name, how do I give it a Part number, how do I give it a serial number, that can not be changed by the end user?

And how would I go about doing this in the best way, or easiest way? Or is there a way to do so through the bios?

I would greatly appreciate some assistance and or at least pointed in the right direction.
find
Things like that are stored in the desktop management information, DMI. Most manufactueres have had their tattoo tools leaked which allow for these DMI values to be changed. I've only expiremented a little bit with my HP laptops, and they both have their DMI stored, without any kind of encryption, in the bios chip.
find
(09-29-2014, 12:47 AM)donovan6000 Wrote: Things like that are stored in the desktop management information, DMI. Most manufactueres have had their tattoo tools leaked which allow for these DMI values to be changed. I've only expiremented a little bit with my HP laptops, and they both have their DMI stored, without any kind of encryption, in the bios chip.

Thank you very much for that quick reply.

Now this one place I never would have thought to look for or in or even thought about, Is there a general Tattoo tool, that you or I could use? I'm not looking to lock the system down to where the end user has no options or flexibility to do as they wish, but this is more for the record keeping and being able to look up a built PC if and when needed.

How it was built, all components used, name of owner and the such.
find
(09-29-2014, 01:07 AM)SGTDRE Wrote:
(09-29-2014, 12:47 AM)donovan6000 Wrote: Things like that are stored in the desktop management information, DMI. Most manufactueres have had their tattoo tools leaked which allow for these DMI values to be changed. I've only expiremented a little bit with my HP laptops, and they both have their DMI stored, without any kind of encryption, in the bios chip.

Now this one place I never would have thought to look for or in or even thought about, Is there a general Tattoo tool, that you or I could use? I'm not looking to lock the system down to where the end user has no options or flexibility to do as they wish, but this is more for the record keeping and being able to look up a built PC if and when needed.

Hi friend,
It's not so quite as You are thinking !
There isn't one only Generalized Utility or Tool to do on all Bioses this operation, inded every Manufacturer (Isyde, Phoenix, AMI, etc. ) have your own !!!
So You have two way, one as The Big Donovan said is using a DMI editor, or You can Backup your Bios and edit It by HexEditor the DMI block.
You have to know that this block (not crypted and not obfuscated) differs for any Manufacturer, so for Insyde is DMI, for Phoenix is RESERVE, etc.
You can find all Signicant Data in a Bios Backup like UUID, Model, Serial Machine, Bios Version and Windows Serial num. too.
Regards
find
(09-29-2014, 03:59 AM)BDMaster Wrote:
(09-29-2014, 01:07 AM)SGTDRE Wrote:

Hi friend,
It's not so quite as You are thinking !
There isn't one only Generalized Utility or Tool to do on all Bioses this operation, inded every Manufacturer (Isyde, Phoenix, AMI, etc. ) have your own !!!
So You have two way, one as The Big Donovan said is using a DMI editor, or You can Backup your Bios and edit It by HexEditor the DMI block.
You have to know that this block (not crypted and not obfuscated) differs for any Manufacturer, so for Insyde is DMI, for Phoenix is RESERVE, etc.
You can find all Signicant Data in a Bios Backup like UUID, Model, Serial Machine, Bios Version and Windows Serial num. too.
Regards

Thank you for the info and that explains why I could not find anything with all the searching I did, well I did find this http://www.sharewareconnection.com/msi-dmi-browser.htm but the download link is dead.

I do however have this http://www.ntcore.com/exsuite.php and just I downloaded the latest version, it has a hex editor built in, but not sure if it would work. Then again, coding / scripting is something I have not learned, looks like I will have to learn some time soon. At least a working knowledge of it.

For now at least I will have to try and find the tool and see if I get my hands on it, for Asus motherboard bioses. That are American Megatrends Inc. UEFI BIOS based.

:UPDATE:
Well I just went to the "American Megatrends" web site and they state in their FAQ that that their Bios tools are strictly licensed to the motherboard manufacture and will not give it out / sell it to anyone. Confused

I will update this as needed for all who are or maybe interested as I find more info.
find

:Update:

Okay now hold on to you're chairs here and please put down any drinks and by all means do swallow what you already have in you're mouth. I don't to make you spray allover you're monitor, but I just got off the Phone with "American Megatrends" and found out that a license can be bought for their DMI tool and this is an annual fee. For those that need more clarification, per Year that is, ready now.

Price (talking to a live person) quote:
5K to 10k annual fee Huh yes I did type this correctly.
find
AMI's tattoo tool is called DMIEDIT. I've never used it before, so I'm not sure how well it works. The latest release is version 8, which you can find on MDL. Or you can pay 5k-10k if you don't want to use leaked software Tongue
find
(09-30-2014, 06:47 PM)donovan6000 Wrote: AMI's tattoo tool is called DMIEDIT. I've never used it before, so I'm not sure how well it works. The latest release is version 8, which you can find on MDL. Or you can pay 5k-10k if you don't want to use leaked software Tongue

Thank you very much for the link and I will have to register there and check out, And they have a few other tools / utilities that are available for download, but are hidden (That Is what I was Told) and they sent a PDF file showing them and what they are for, that is it. And from the way I understood and took away from the conversation I had on the phone, the first question I was asked, "Do you work for a company" the way the conversation sounded If it I would said "NO" it's personal, I would have been told to have a nice day and that would have been it. They really sounded protective.

Thanks again for the info.
find
I spent a day (about) searching and downloading what I could as there are many links that are no longer working, and most if not all post's are about Win XP/Vista, as well as the users that are posting are talking about several computer manufactures. And It seems like some the tools need to run under Windows XP and there is a lot of there that is for sure, but after following some of the directions I made a bootable CD and I could not get it to run even just to see what options there maybe for me to use.

I guess I will have to keep searching, or not even bother with it for the time being. But I don't give up that easy.
find