Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Dell Vostro 3450 Advanced Options unlocking in progress
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
Yeah, I have .. thanks to @ashp for doing the mod... but on version A04, can incorporate it into A13 if you desire. The latest version is 2158.0
Regarding RF toggle issue - its common on all systems with this type of firmware, so Dell or Phoenix themselves has made a common mistake in some of the modules which results in memory leak/buffer overflow or just infinite loop when trying to handle the message from WMI. I will attempt to remove the If (WIFS) conditional from DSDT (as I'm running OSX its an easy job) to see if message 0xE008 to toggle RF is causing this freeze.
Hey TimeWalker, thanks for your input. I'd also like to have the latest Intel VBIOS. Do you think it will have any benefits for Windows users?

Oh, and by the way, apart from the touchpad Fn+F3 issue and freezes in UEFI boot, Vostro 3450 is pretty much compatible with Windows 8, right?
I'm on bus Wink will upload modified A04 and A13 when I'm back at some place warm lol. Even though A13 is pointless, nothing was fixed ... I get same issues with A13 as with A04, even though it supposedly fixes quickset..and looses the ability to boot USB drives while in crisis boot mode which I'm frequently relying on in my tests, especially vbios mods to be able to test on duet/refit.

Touchpad issue can be fixed by altering the driver install package, there's a conf file that is missing a handler for touchpad disable.. but its a mess nonetheless ..

To my knowledge rftoggle and touchpad disables are the only issues. Sometimes W8 messes up nvram completely upon clean install, but its fine if you reflash with cvar.
Here are the mods as promised: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m5h1lk1c0wb3z2...20mods.rar
Enclosed is a modified Intel's blank 2158 VBIOS with OEM settings preserved from Dell's stock 2098 VBIOS (found in A04).

Both BIOSes include the following changes:
1. CPU UCODE update to v28
2. Patched PM module for MSR register 0xE2 R/W
3. Updated VBIOS to 2158.0
4. Unlocked Menus /w DELLIOL string removed
5. ... ugh ?

Will attempt the WIFS trick now and report back.. but I highly doubt it will help anyhow, some of the modules must be producing memory-related flaw when Fn+F2 is pressed.
Hey Guys, has anyone test the new bios mods? Because it'd update vbios, I'm not sure about that. I found 2 *.WPH 1 for A04 and 1 for A13, is it possible to use the A13? Thks
I'm running A04 without any hiccups (apart from the usual [censored]-ups from Dell's side of things). The A13 should be absolutely safe to use, I have been using the modded one prior to reverting back to A04. I just patched in a new VBIOS as I figured one can potentially enjoy a higher BIOS version, but actually I'm starting to notice that newer is not always better ...

Here're few examples of my recent experiences with devices:
1. Updated an ASUS desktop board to a latest version - lost SHELL access, encountered hibernation bugs and some random BSODs are happening from now on.
2. Accepted firmware an up to date update on my mobile phone - GSM modem is unable to pick up the network signal now, manual operator selection won't work.
3. Updated my WDTV media box - lost ability to access shared folder on local network computers and NAS, but gained YouTube leanback ...???

Nope, no joy .. stripped the query down to:
Code:
Method (_Q8C, 0, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        P8XH (Zero, 0x8C)
                        Store (0xF2, WCA1)
                        FOWM (0x11, 0x0B)
                    }

from it's original:
Code:
Method (_Q8C, 0, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        P8XH (Zero, 0x8C)
                        Store (Zero, Local0)
                        Store (Zero, Local1)
                        Store (Zero, Local2)
                        Store (Zero, Local3)
                        Store (0xF2, WCA1)
                        FOWM (0x11, 0x0B)
                        Store (WFI1, Local0)
                        Store (WFI2, Local1)
                        Store (0x0100, Local2)
                        Store (One, Local3)
                        If (WIFS)
                        {
                            Store (0x06, ^^^^AMW0.INF0)
                            Store (Zero, ^^^^AMW0.INF1)
                            Store (0xE008, ^^^^AMW0.INF2)
                            Store (Local0, ^^^^AMW0.INF3)
                            Store (Local1, ^^^^AMW0.INF4)
                            Store (Local2, ^^^^AMW0.INF5)
                            Store (Local3, ^^^^AMW0.INF6)
                            If (LEqual (DMFG, Zero))
                            {
                                Notify (AMW0, 0xD0)
                            }
                        }
                    }
Still freezes the very moment you hit Fn+F2. having Media keys reverted in BIOS is a pain if you accidentally decide to rename something and forget that you have keys reverted Big Grin
Thanks TW, I will flash the modded BIOS and report back shortly. I am primarily interested because there is another switchable graphics bug with Aero in Windows 7 that happens when GPU switching is set to manual. It may have something to do with VBIOS because it happens on all driver versions I've tried. This problem doesn't appear in Windows 8 though, because they reworked the DWM (and removed Aero, lol).

How are you doing these DSDT modifications? Are you loading a modified DSDT table in OSX?

EDIT: [censored] I messed up my AMD driversSmile Gotta reinstall the stock driver now.
Yes, offloading a table through a bootloader.
Just booted Ubuntu 12.10 without installing - GRUB2 (UEFI). Ironically enough pressing Fn+F2 doesn't hand the system.
Code:
[ -d /sys/firmware/efi ] && echo "EFI Boot" || echo "Legacy Boot"
The above returns EFI Boot .. so this is weird. I assume the fix comes from linux kernel. I have found this piece of code related to Dell laptops, but not sure how it might help. Dell System Vostro 3450 is among those supported models. http://pastebin.com/uxHMqEiY
Hey guys, i have just updated the new A13 Modded but AIDA shows that the VBIOS is still 2098, I tried to update twice. The Menu is shown, anything wrong?
Flashed it... No visible changes whatsoever. And yeah, mine shows 2098 too... Weird. TW, are you sure this was the right image?

EDIT: Yeah, I just unpacked BIOS1_A13_MOD_2158.WPH and it still has 2098. And the separate 29206FC2-9EAB-4612-ACA1-1E3D098FB1B3_1_940.ROM that comes in the same archive is actually 2098 too!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19