Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow @ Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HP MCP61PM-HM (Nettle2) CPU Compatibility Issues
Hey friends,
 I'm new here and glad to find this awesome forum.  I've been trying to trouble shoot a friends compy that's using the MCP61PM-HM rev. 1.0B (Nettle2) Mobo.  It kept crashing constantly and even sometimes froze up during post.  What errors I did see pertained to memory errors.  After MemTesting all 4 memory modules in all possible configurations, they all tested good. I also got 2 brand new modules and still same symptoms.  I also reflashed the bios with a modded bios from these forums found here:

https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-H...ng-Options

While system stability is improved from where I started, its still way to bad for me to call it fixed.  On the assumption that I now have a bad memory controler, I went and replaced the CPU.  According to the thread from which I got the modded bios, the board should now support all Athlon II's and phenom II's, so I went and got me a Phenom II x3 B75.  However, when I swapped it in, the computer powers on but doesn't post and is on black screen.  Swapping back to the original Athlon 64 x2 5000+ processor got me back to posting again.

Am I missing something here? Any ideas where I should go from here? Should I request a bios on the forum? Cause I can only see getting another Athlon 64 x2 processor, and that's not to say it may even be the problem in the first place.

Specs
Model: HP A6357C

Mobo: MCP61PM-HM rev. 1.0B (Nettle2)

CPU: Stock - Athlon 64 x2 5000+
Replacment - Phenom II x3 B75

Ram: Stock - 2x 512mb DDR2 555mhz
                   2x 1gb DDR2 555mhz
Replacment - 2x 2GB DDR2 800mhz

Bios: M613Z_19

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks friends!
find
Hi Maestro,

There is a lot of confusion on what the modified BIOS for Nettle2 vs. Nettle3 and other variants support. For that board, the highest the ABIT modified BIOS will support is the 5600+ (being in TDP ranges). Anything in the phenom class requires a Nettle3 or higher.

Do you think a 5600+ CPU replacement will solve the issue if it is a failing memory controller issue on the motherboard?

TheWiz
www find
(10-25-2015, 11:05 PM)TheWiz Wrote: Hi Maestro,

There is a lot of confusion on what the modified BIOS for Nettle2 vs. Nettle3 and other variants support. For that board, the highest the ABIT modified BIOS will support is the 5600+ (being in TDP ranges). Anything in the phenom class requires a Nettle3 or higher.

Do you think a 5600+ CPU replacement will solve the issue if it is a failing memory controller issue on the motherboard?

TheWiz

I just went and assumed that the memory controller was on die like the regular Athlon 64, but it does look like its on board as apart of the chipset.  I just don't no what to make of it.  I'm getting different errors pertaining to memory , however I didn't see any crashing during my 36 hours of memory testing.  I doubt its any sort of driver issue cause I was seeing anomalies during post.

Assuming that this board didn't damage the Phenom am I better off getting another board to pair wit it?  I don't wanna spend any more then I have to now, so id like to stay with DDR2 Ram.  Recommendations?
find