Forum RSS Feed Follow @ Twitter Follow @ Twitter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(request) add microcode to support i7-4790 for Lenovo M73 Tiny PC
I have a tiny PC from Lenovo. The model is M73 tiny, exchanged a new power supply (120W)power supply to support high watt CPU and upgraded the CPU from i3 4130T to i7-4790 last few weeks. It is work property without unexpected crash /shutdown.

As I know the current M73 tiny's BIOS did not have this unsupport CPU microcode (i7-4790). When I triggered the routine restart after windows update. It will hang up.  I could not able to restart /reboot the PC normally. 

Work around:  It's required to power off the PC and power on (for power cycle a PC to reboot the system)
Issue: Seem the issue related on unsupport CPU.  

Don't know is it possible help and assist to add CPU microcode i7-4790 to this M73 Tiny's BIOS.

The latest bios file can be find below link, CPUID and stepping can find from below capture screen.

BIOS - ThinkCentre M73 Tiny (10AX, 10AY) FHKT79A
https://support.lenovo.com/hk/en/downloads/ds038325

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

find
Make a photo of nettop's motherboard near a socket.
Make a screenshot of regedit with expanded key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\0
find
(04-29-2019, 12:06 PM)Please find the photo from attachment file DeathBringer Wrote: Make a photo of nettop's motherboard near a socket.
Make a screenshot of regedit with expanded key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\CentralProcessor\0

find
Current BIOS has newest version (0x25) of microcode for i7-4790.
I think the problem is related to a power subsystem of this motherboard.
This motherboard have two phases for CPU only. So low powered CPUs are recommended only,
find
(04-30-2019, 06:50 AM)DeathBringer Wrote: Current BIOS has newest version (0x25) of microcode for i7-4790.
I think the problem is related to a power subsystem of this motherboard.
This motherboard have two phases for CPU only. So low powered CPUs are recommended only,

Thanks for your prompt reply and reminder. I will consider to find a low watt CPU for it.

BTW, After upgrade PC can run as 7x24 around 2 weeks without any problem.
Seem fail to restart the PC problem not related on 2 phases.

Attached screen dump, I found the BIOS detected incorrect speed for this CPU i7-4790. Is it related on CPU microcode or speed locked ?

find
(04-30-2019, 08:02 AM)tsangkaiming11 Wrote: Is it related on CPU microcode ...
No.
Show screenshots of ThrottleStop: main window and Turbo Power Limits (TPL).
find