Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: corrupted bios on satellite c660
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello
I am new to this site and am no pc expert so I apologise in advance if this request is mis-directed or uses the wrong technical terms, but I could do with some help.
I have a Toshiba satellite C660D notebook. I received a message last week saying I needed to update the BIOS – which I did. Big mistake I now realise. Something went wrong during update and now when I switch on I just get a black screen (just LED’s and fan).
After having investigated and spoke to Toshiba, the conclusion is I have corrupted the BIOS which now needs to be flashed blind.
So I got hold of a 512MB memory stick, formatted using FAT, and used Wincris to create a bootable disk – having added the bios.rom file (renamed to Bios.wph) which I extracted from the latest BIOS update from the Toshiba site.
My memory stick has three visible files on it – Phlash16.exe, bios.wph and minidos.
I plug stick into laptop with battery, DVD drive, and power cable disconnected, hold Fn+B down while re-connecting cable…and switch on.
The fan whirs at full speed and the USB stick lights up (doesn’t flash though). No matter how long I leave on, the fan keeps whirring and the USB light stays on and when I disconnect and re-start – still a black screen.
I have tried different sticks, (up to 4 GB, with FAT32 format), different boot disk programs (e.g. HP utility) but still no luck.
Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong? I have tried looking for a more recent version of Phlash16 just in case that was the problem, but cannot find one anywhere.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated…even if its just to tell me I am wasting my time because the pc is un-fixable.

Many thanks
Quote:
(11-13-2012, 02:37 PM)eddieward10 Wrote: [ -> ]Hello
I am new to this site and am no pc expert so I apologise in advance if this request is mis-directed or uses the wrong technical terms, but I could do with some help.
I have a Toshiba satellite C660D notebook. I received a message last week saying I needed to update the BIOS – which I did. Big mistake I now realise. Something went wrong during update and now when I switch on I just get a black screen (just LED’s and fan).
After having investigated and spoke to Toshiba, the conclusion is I have corrupted the BIOS which now needs to be flashed blind.
So I got hold of a 512MB memory stick, formatted using FAT, and used Wincris to create a bootable disk – having added the bios.rom file (renamed to Bios.wph) which I extracted from the latest BIOS update from the Toshiba site.
My memory stick has three visible files on it – Phlash16.exe, bios.wph and minidos.
I plug stick into laptop with battery, DVD drive, and power cable disconnected, hold Fn+B down while re-connecting cable…and switch on.
The fan whirs at full speed and the USB stick lights up (doesn’t flash though). No matter how long I leave on, the fan keeps whirring and the USB light stays on and when I disconnect and re-start – still a black screen.
I have tried different sticks, (up to 4 GB, with FAT32 format), different boot disk programs (e.g. HP utility) but still no luck.
Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong? I have tried looking for a more recent version of Phlash16 just in case that was the problem, but cannot find one anywhere.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated…even if its just to tell me I am wasting my time because the pc is un-fixable.

Many thanks

Did you find any solutions man ? I have the same problem.