Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Acer Veriton 6900Pro (Q9657MC-8KSR2H)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Well there we go then - this has an SPI chip and all Acer does it connect a SPI programmer to the 7 pin header and uses it to reflash the chip

Im actually in the process of tracking down a cheap SPI programmer so il let you know how i go!

Admin
(04-30-2010, 01:13 AM)1234s282 Wrote: [ -> ]Well there we go then - this has an SPI chip and all Acer does it connect a SPI programmer to the 7 pin header and uses it to reflash the chip

Im actually in the process of tracking down a cheap SPI programmer so il let you know how i go!

Admin

In the meanwhile ive written to Foxconn-Support but there is no answer until now...The chip you figured out is named with "RT9214 PS8GQDH" when I read it right...but the bad news is that there is another chip with same format and same number on it - but it is on completely other position (near audio-out/pci-e) and theres another one named with "RT91730 PSP283701" near big power-connector...

And what about the two chips between ddr-socket and southbridge(?), with blue color on one of the edge (U21)? Two same chips together - Theyre slighlty bigger but i cant read their number...maybe u can read on the photos if theyre interesting!
Barking up the wrong tree i think - i cannot find any reference to the numbers you mentioned , only that RT91730 is some sort of integrated circuit , no results that are bios related!

The chip that Nick kindly pointed out which looks the right kind of shape and size to be a bios chip DOES have something printed on it! - Can you read what it says?

[Image: veriton6900prochip.png]

This could be the beginning of the end of all your problems!

Regards
Admin
Another bit of news , seems Foxconn have a Q9657MC-8KSR2H bios of their own , with a similar filename but several subtle changes (One 689A1P68 and 684F1P28 most like A for Acer F for Foxconn) . However , despite being ALMOST identical , as you can see from the picture below , the foxconn Retail bios for the same board has a much bigger microcode list.

Because you have an SPI chip , you will have to ship your motherboard to us anyway (How else are we supposed to connect the programmer!?)

If you like , assuming we correctly idenfiy your chip , are able to flash and you ship your board , we can try flashing the retail Foxconn version of the bios with the increased amount of microcode. You have nothing much to lose by doing this as the worst that can happen is your chip will die but we will have the board and programmer on hand anyway!

Of course , your Acer logo at boot will be a Foxconn one , but thats a small price to pay to get your CPU working right Smile

Im finally glad that after 3 pages of long discussion - we have finally come back around to your original request. When i posted saying Intel microcodes were not available , it was at this time when extracting Intel microcode updates was impossible. Thanks to the genuis of TheWiz , its no longer impossible so all we have to do now is to find the most similar board possible containing the correct cpu support , extracting it and then replacing the older one in the bios to be modded)

Its actually harder than ive made out , im just summarising Smile

Let me know your thoughts on shipping your board

Regards
Admin
(04-30-2010, 07:51 AM)1234s282 Wrote: [ -> ]Another bit of news , seems Foxconn have a Q9657MC-8KSR2H bios of their own , with a similar filename but several subtle changes (One 689A1P68 and 684F1P28 most like A for Acer F for Foxconn) . However , despite being ALMOST identical , as you can see from the picture below , the foxconn Retail bios for the same board has a much bigger microcode list.

Because you have an SPI chip , you will have to ship your motherboard to us anyway (How else are we supposed to connect the programmer!?)

If you like , assuming we correctly idenfiy your chip , are able to flash and you ship your board , we can try flashing the retail Foxconn version of the bios with the increased amount of microcode. You have nothing much to lose by doing this as the worst that can happen is your chip will die but we will have the board and programmer on hand anyway!

Of course , your Acer logo at boot will be a Foxconn one , but thats a small price to pay to get your CPU working right Smile

Im finally glad that after 3 pages of long discussion - we have finally come back around to your original request. When i posted saying Intel microcodes were not available , it was at this time when extracting Intel microcode updates was impossible. Thanks to the genuis of TheWiz , its no longer impossible so all we have to do now is to find the most similar board possible containing the correct cpu support , extracting it and then replacing the older one in the bios to be modded)

Its actually harder than ive made out , im just summarising Smile

Let me know your thoughts on shipping your board

Regards
Admin

some boards are missing the 7 pin header and just have 7 solder points....

Nick
OH thats not good Sad

What does this board have, i cant seem to find 7 pins/solder points
I cant find these connector...sure, I can send it to you if you want and you can look if you can bring it back to life Wink My abilities are not good enough to repair...
Il have to check how to do this as there are no 7 pin header present to plug a programmer back into

Admin
(05-01-2010, 12:44 AM)1234s282 Wrote: [ -> ]Il have to check how to do this as there are no 7 pin header present to plug a programmer back into

Admin

can you send us better pics, like the complete board all in one frame? even better if you can get remove the accessories first.

Nick
(05-01-2010, 07:45 PM)banana19 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-01-2010, 12:44 AM)1234s282 Wrote: [ -> ]Il have to check how to do this as there are no 7 pin header present to plug a programmer back into

Admin

can you send us better pics, like the complete board all in one frame? even better if you can get remove the accessories first.

Nick

found this in the foxconn version of the manual. no clue what it means.

3. Do not unplug the BIOS SEL1 jumper randomly which defaults
SPI BIOS Mode.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5