Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Asus P4SD-VX and P4 3.4ghz SL7PP compatibility
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have this motherboar: Asus P4SD-VX (Sony Vaio OEM).
Link to bios:
http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/va...px?l=en_GB&url=Downloads/AI/B/SYS/AIBSYS-00600508-UN.exe&m=PCV-RSM31&ip=AIBSYS-00600508-UN.htm

I just installed a PIV 3.4Ghz SL7PP .. the bios tell there's a 3.4 ghz cpu, however Intel Processor id utility reports the CPU is running at 1.57Ghz (expected 3.4) and FSB of just 370Mhz (expected 800).
I get 1.7 cpu score in windosws 7. The CPU seems original.. maybe a microcode update is needed?
Thanks for attention.
IMHO it would be better to post a CPU-z screenshot: http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
CPU-z reports 3.4ghz however I assure the system is very slow. Can this be a speedstep technology issue? I have no options in the bios to disable it.

edit: I just found out through aida32 that the cpu doesn't support speedsted tech so that's not the issue.
It's an overheating problem. The throttle goes down to 45% cpu power
Yeah, it probably is throttling. If CPU-z got the voltage reading correct, than it's obvious where the problem is. According to Intel's specs for SL7PP, the necessary voltage for this processor to work correctly is between 1.287V-1.4V, and yours is almost 2.15V! Search thoroughly for a voltage setting option in BIOS.
I can't set the voltage through bios.. however HW monitor reports Vcore at 1.34V ..I don't know what's going on. Do I need special thermal paste for these prescott? I have a white one.
I'm sure you're aware of the hundreds, if not thousands kinds of thermal paste. As far as I'm aware, the white one you might own can be either silicone or ceramique based. Did you change the thermal paste when you installed the new processor? Did you make sure you installed the heatsink correctly on top of it? After the computer has been working awhile and you touch the heatsink, is it really hot? Please give some more detailed information in order for any of us to help you with you problem.

Thanks in advance.
Probably Speedstepping is enabled , either in the bios or elsewhere

When your computer is idle (ie. Not doing much) , the CPU "Throttles" and slows down. If you open up several programs and start doing more CPU intensive work , the processor speeds up. This method saves on power usage and increases battery life

Regards
Admin
(11-28-2009, 07:36 PM)1234s282 Wrote: [ -> ]Probably Speedstepping is enabled , either in the bios or elsewhere

When your computer is idle (ie. Not doing much) , the CPU "Throttles" and slows down. If you open up several programs and start doing more CPU intensive work , the processor speeds up. This method saves on power usage and increases battery life

Regards
Admin

Hello, this pentium 4 doesn't support speedtepping.
Another program tells me core V is correct.
I probably need a better cooling system.