Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Help and Clarification
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I really hope someone can help me with this. I don't want to ramble and give useless information so I'll try to be as concise as possible.

My desktop (Acer M5100) has a problem that I'm fairly certain is due to the MOBO (Acer f690gvm). It runs great with a 32it OS but a 64bit OS only runs if I strip down the system to 2gb of RAM (if this isn't done the display is just blank white screen after windows loads). Apparently this is a flaw in the AMD 690g chipset with mapping addresses according to some other threads I have found.

I've found some (useless) workarounds such as adjusting values in "msconfig" but nothing I can find or do makes any real difference. It has been suggested that the BIOS is the issue. I've never flashed BIOS before, but I have bricked a smartphone, so I'm wary at best.

I found this here: http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/archive/i...-1246.html

But I am unsure if it will fix my problem, or potentially fix my problem. I don't want to go down that road unless I have some confidence. Please, anybody with the knowledge or some experience in this, help me out with some direction here.

Here is the relevant information that I can think of:

-MOBO = Acer f690gvm
-Model = Acer M5100

The BIOS throws me off though. CPUZ lists the following:

Brand: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Version: 6.00 PG
Date: 10/10/2007

However, if I actually boot into the BIOS setup, I forget the exact name, but "Award" is definitely in there. Is it a Phoenix BIOS or Award BIOS?

I've already gotten a headache for the day so I may not be able to check this thread until tomorrow, but please, I'll take any and all suggestions into consideration.

Thank you.
did this ever get an answer?
(02-22-2013, 10:46 PM)10up Wrote: [ -> ]Hello,

I really hope someone can help me with this. I don't want to ramble and give useless information so I'll try to be as concise as possible.

My desktop (Acer M5100) has a problem that I'm fairly certain is due to the MOBO (Acer f690gvm). It runs great with a 32it OS but a 64bit OS only runs if I strip down the system to 2gb of RAM (if this isn't done the display is just blank white screen after windows loads). Apparently this is a flaw in the AMD 690g chipset with mapping addresses according to some other threads I have found.

I've found some (useless) workarounds such as adjusting values in "msconfig" but nothing I can find or do makes any real difference. It has been suggested that the BIOS is the issue. I've never flashed BIOS before, but I have bricked a smartphone, so I'm wary at best.

I found this here: http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/archive/i...-1246.html

But I am unsure if it will fix my problem, or potentially fix my problem. I don't want to go down that road unless I have some confidence. Please, anybody with the knowledge or some experience in this, help me out with some direction here.

Here is the relevant information that I can think of:

-MOBO = Acer f690gvm
-Model = Acer M5100

The BIOS throws me off though. CPUZ lists the following:

Brand: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Version: 6.00 PG
Date: 10/10/2007

However, if I actually boot into the BIOS setup, I forget the exact name, but "Award" is definitely in there. Is it a Phoenix BIOS or Award BIOS?

I've already gotten a headache for the day so I may not be able to check this thread until tomorrow, but please, I'll take any and all suggestions into consideration.

Thank you.

http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Ac...A3?page=13