Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Award BIOS update via DOS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This thread is posted for assistance to complete the flashing/updating of an Award BIOS which is installed on a MSI PM8M-V VIA*P4M800+VT8237 Chipset motherboard.

It is my belief in trying to analyze and troubleshoot the recent problems with a computer I built for a friend about 8 years ago, that this computer was infected with Mebromi Malware which is said to contain-"a bit of everything: a BIOS rootkit specifically targeting Award BIOS, a MBR rootkit, a kernel mode rootkit, a PE file infector and a Trojan downloader." (the link to this quote is; http://blog.webroot.com/2011/09/13/mebro...-the-wild/)

I have removed and replaced three hard drives, removed any and all of the installed expansion cards, two memory modules, removed the BIOS/CMOS battery for two days, tried to install four different operating systems (i.e. Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows XP Home, Windows XP Pro), utilized various commands in the XP repair console to try to solve this unit booting into any operating system, with no success.

Near the end of this troubleshooting process the computer was stripped down to the absolute minimum hardware necessary to boot, with only the integrated hardware available on-board the motherboard, with no positive results.

I have downloaded from this web-site all of the necessary items to do a USB boot of this computer, along with the appropriate Award Flash Utility. All that remains is acquiring the appropriate BIOS for this particular motherboard.

The original manufacture "MSI" was searched for the appropriate BIOS, but they required that you download a BIOS scanner before the BIOS is provided. AND, this is to occur while you are in WINDOWS! (I cannot boot into Windows!)

Could you please provide any information or a direction I can take to obtain the appropriate BIOS version or update that will allow me to flash the original (infected BIOS) via USB (by USB FLoppy Disk, or USB thumbdrive) with the original or updated MSI BIOS for this particular motherboard?

(Sorry for such a long post, but I have spent a considerable amount of time in trying to solve this problem.)

Thanks for your time. G-Mog