Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5 CPU Support Upgrade
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
(11-06-2010, 03:36 PM)Overclockedtoster Wrote: [ -> ]Just making sure seeing how TheWiz Said to only try it if you have the ability to replace a bricked bios chip.
I'll test the bios out Monday or Tuesday, OCing results later in the week if it works. (the 710 can do 3.5 in my GA-MA790X-UD4P)

did you ever end up trying this? I'm quite curious of the results
I have a spare GA-M59SLI-S5 that used to be my mainboard, but since I haven't been able to do a CPU upgrade on it, I've started using my secondary computer, since that Gigabyte supports AM3 (using an x3 740 95Watt cpu on it). I'm kind of disappointed because I bought that motherboard particularly because it was a high end board, and I'd figure there'd be CPU support for it.

Anyway -- I've tried the last bios listed in this thread on the M59SLI-S5, it won't post and the monitor won't turn on, but the motherboard powers on--that's with an AM3 chip -- the Phenom II x3 740.

Using an am2 x2 4000 chip lets it post and boot up normally.

Any Updates from the Wiz?

I'm really interested in this upgrade as I'm one of Gigabytes victims who fell for their stupid power circuit design of GA-M59SLI-S5
Hi Unreal,

After doing some further testing I don't think the current BIOS from Gigabyte can handdle coding AM3 support, yet there is still one opportunity that requires someone with a spare BIOS chip to attempt. The latest EVGA BIOS for their 590SLI does support the entire Phenom range, and I believe if someone could test crossflashing on a new chip to see if it would work that would be the best BIOS image to work off of.

Thanks,
TheWiz
A question for The Wiz. When looking at the bios, did you notice anything relating to nvidia only cards running in the 16x pcie slots?

I only ask because I also have the M59SLI-S5 mobo, and I purchased a new 5850 graphics card to run in it and if I install the 5850 in either of the blue 16x pcie slots the PC will not post at all, but if I put the 5850 in the 8x slot the pc posts and boots without any problems?

I suspect there is some type of SLI setting in the bios that is blocking non nvidia cards from running in the 16x pcie slot - or possibly a power limit setting that is specific to the 16x pcie slots that is not present on the 8x pcie slots.

Is it possible for you to take a look and see what you can find?

If it is not a power limit, perhaps it is a pcie channel limit of some sort? From what I read, the M59SLI-S5 mobo only has 30 pcie channels, and maybe the mobo is not splitting the available pcie channels up properly or in a way that ATI graphics cards support?

Lastly it possible to set the 16x pcie slots to 8x within the bios? If the 16x pcie slots were limited to 8x, then I could run 3x graphics cards at 8x each (24 pcie channels total).

I will be using this mobo for folding, so I would like to run 3 graphics cards in it.

You help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Any news or testing?
Would be very interested in this matter as i am stuck with this crappy board with maybe the worst support whatsoever-.-

I'd love to test but i am abroad atm. and don't have a spare chip -.-

cheers&thx for your time
Your board allready has two bios chips anyway.
Hi All,

Just found this forum and thread after having a M59SLI-S5 since brand new, and recently been donated a Phenom CPU code HD9500WCJ4BGD. Been a great board (even after blowing and replacing a few caps) don't want to upgrade just yet....

Willing to be a test bunny, just tell me what to do (dual bios will protect me right?)
Really hoping this works, have a 9800GX2+8600GT in that machine that has been choking for a little while now.....
I am also in this boat, my old 4600+ is starting to show its age, would be nice to put something much more recent in this GA-M59SLI-S5. Any news on this front, or am I out of luck?
Hi everyone,

If anyone has the resources to do some testing and recovery on their BIOS, we can setup a test using the EVGA BIOS 590 SLI that has the Phenom support everyone has been looking for.

TheWiz
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6