Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Laptop CPU fan problems.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi. I've got a Compaq Presario 2580US laptop with a fan that is starting to make some really bad, high pitched sounds and then shuts off. I talked to a repair guy today and he said that if blowing compressed air through the grill doesn't fix it, that I would have to send it to the manufacturer for repair. He said that the laptops all have proprietary fans on them. That didn't seem to make sense since I've seen fans on sale all over place. I really don't want to have to buy a new laptop since I"m short on money right now and trying to save up to move in a few months.
Any suggestions?
[Image: DELL1300fan.jpg]
The computer shuts off or just the fan?

TheWiz
This is what I found at their part store but it doesnt look right..unless you took it apart?

http://www.partstore.com/Part/Hewlett+Pa...tt+Packard&ModelBrandName=Compaq&ModelNumber=Presario2580US
Hi, I fixed the fan before.
so I have know something.

To replace cpu fan with cooler is so heavy postage and expensive.
because you need just the fan only.

second choice, buy the cpu fan only though ebay. they are lots different cpu fan selling. but you need to make sure that what you have.
I agree that the repair guy said. "proprietary fans".
evenif it is same fan with same model number, but there might be different size of grill. smaller or larger than yours, so it cant fit on properly
and lots of new fan might be from china ebay. so it isn't easy to buy it.
Check the model number from the broken cpu fan and try to find ebay.

third choice, you can replace fan from other broken laptop without replace grill or stand, or you can buy similar one from ebay.
it is cheapest but it isn't easy way.
first, try with the your broken fan. because you don't need it anymore.
remove the broken cpu fan from gril, and study how it can remove and assemble it without damage inside. so try it.
after you learn properly, then migrate from proper working cpu fan to the your original grill or stand.

I hope it will help you.
sorry my poor English.

(01-16-2010, 01:30 PM)derrensmiths Wrote: [ -> ]Hi. I've got a Compaq Presario 2580US laptop with a fan that is starting to make some really bad, high pitched sounds and then shuts off. I talked to a repair guy today and he said that if blowing compressed air through the grill doesn't fix it, that I would have to send it to the manufacturer for repair. He said that the laptops all have proprietary fans on them. That didn't seem to make sense since I've seen fans on sale all over place. I really don't want to have to buy a new laptop since I"m short on money right now and trying to save up to move in a few months.
Any suggestions?
[Image: DELL1300fan.jpg]