Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Abit KN9 Ultra AM3 support Request
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Award BIOS Editor 1x is a legacy mod tool that can't handle newer bioses well, especially when they are modded by superior tools. As for the bios chip, I would grab one. If the flash fails, all you would have to do is hotflash. Read up on google on how to flash your spare chip to the stock bios while the system is on, and then youll have a spare chip in case something goes awry.

TheWiz
What could happen after flashing this bios, that a spare BIOS could undo, but blindflashing the original BIOS can't?

And I'll ask again, from which donort BIOS did you take the files?

Will I be able to use DDR2-1066 RAMs?
Yeah it should be able to use DDR2 Fine. I believe I used my generic Gigabyte 790x series files. Basically, if a flash fails, you just pop out the chip, put the new one in with the original bios, and youre ready to go and boot fine. Then once booted, you can "hotflash" the other chip so you can continue testing.

TheWwz
I think you didn'z understand my question. To use DDR2-1066 without OCing the HT, I need the corect divider-setting. In the last official BIOS I could only set dividers up to DDR2-800. Do I get this divider through your mod?

And why do I need a spare BIOS-chip in case a flash fails? Ehy wouldn't I be able to blindflash the original BIOS back again?

So it was not necessary to use files from a board with the same chipset? You aske for that in many other requests.
Well, that is the second step. I tend not to do that right away to prevent BIOS corruption. If something goes wrong, about 80 percent of the time you cannot boot the system bac up, which would prevent you from blindflashing the original back, unless you have the spare chip.

TheWiz
Should I buy the the exact same chip, preflashed for my board or try to use a bigger, empty one in case more space is needed later on?

And do you have any second thoughts about this BIOS mod considering your latest discovieries you wrote about in the blog?
Well, your bios doesn't used non compressed code, so the blog doesn't 100 percent apply.

Yoyu could try this one, it has a low chance of messing this up, but its at your own risk.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1525839/Bios/M520A_23.BIN

TheWiz
Sorry, but you still didn't tell me if it's better to order the exact same chip for my board or a bigger, empty one.

And what do you mean with "low chance of messing his up", is it lower than the first BIOS you posted?
As long as its a PLIC that has at least enoguh space as the chip you have now you are fine. And I would ignore that link, were still working on this.

TheWiz
So ot wouldn't make things easier if you had more space on the chip?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17