Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: M2NPV-VM to support Phenom II & Athlon II?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
no dice with those drivers either. it only occurs in 3d mode (all the time using aero) at those resolutions so i guess the testers didnt pick it up. i posted a video on YouTube for asus tech support, search for m2npv-vm and you should find it.

Jason
Hey all,

I notice this thread has gone quiet since the release of the 5005 beta bios that supports Phenom II. Is this 5005 a good beta, or are people experiencing bugs?

Anyway, I wanted to use an AMD Athlon II 265 with this mobo, but unfortunately the 5005 beta bios only supports the 255.

Is it very hard to make the mods required to support the 265?

Or should this go onto a new request thread under the cpu support upgrades forum?

Thanks,
djk
The official BIOS worked fine for me for a good 6 months or more. I eventually got an AM3 mobo as part of a new system.
(04-10-2011, 05:12 PM)galapogos01 Wrote: [ -> ]The official BIOS worked fine for me for a good 6 months or more. I eventually got an AM3 mobo as part of a new system.

Thanks galapagos01. I presume that's a good report for the 5005 beta BIOS, not the 265 processor in it Smile

I suppose I should provide some more information I have found out, which might help anyone who has an idea about what would be involved....

As far as I can tell, the 5005 beta BIOS provides the best support for modern AMD processors of any of the BIOSes ASUS provides for their many AM2+, nVidia GeForce 6150 + nForce 430 chipset motherboards.

If it's of any value, the 2603 BIOS for the M3N-H/HDMI mobo, which is AM3 with GeForce 8300 chipset does provide support for the AMD 265 processor, but may be too different to be of any value, I don't know.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
djk

PS This is my Mythtv HTPC mobo, but the 5600+ EE that I currently have in it is slightly under-powered to play back the new full-hd h.264 .mkv format files, so the 265 is the best high-MHz, low-power CPU that would seem to fit the bill for me.
Hi,

I originally posted under the M2NPV-VM to support Phenom II? thread (http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/archive/i...78-11.html) but I'm afraid it might have gotten lost in that old one, hence this new request.

I have an M2NPV-VM that I would like to install an Athlon II X2 265 (3.3GHz) on, however the latest BIOS (5005) only supports up to the 255 (3.1GHz). Is anybody able to help me with this? This is my first BIOS mod...

Here is the link to the latest Award 5005 BIOS:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock...M/5005.zip

I have not been able to find a BIOS that supports the 265 on any other ASUS motherboards with AM2+, nVidia GeForce 6150 + nForce 430 chipset.

Here is a link to the latest Award 2603 BIOS for the M3N-H/HDMI, which does support the 265, but this has an nVidia GeForce 8300 chipset and may be of limited usefulness:
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock...I/2603.zip

Any help is most appreciated. Smile
DJK
Microcodes are not CPU Chipset dependent , we discovered this a while ago!

Between the 2 bioses you posted , there was only 1 Microcode extra in the 2603 bios. The microcode in your BIOS was 28kb and the other one was 30kb. Your bios now has the 30kb of microcode.

Try at your own risk!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/747181/Asus%20M2...34s282.zip

Regards
Admin
Thanks for this. I'll give it a try.

djk

Hello djk, do you already have the cpu chip to test this bios with, or are you going to order it now? The reason why I ask is that I am in pretty much the exact situation as you are, same mobo, and I am about to buy a new chip, then I realized the limitations by the 5005 bios for the cpu support list, being 3.1gz the highest. I was thinking maybe they only have 3.1 listed as the highest as it may of been the highest at the time of writing the cpu support list. But you never know, and I would rather play it safe as you are. Please share any info and/or your results on the chip, as it would be highly appreciated.

Then for $10 more, I am seriously debating getting the AMD Athlon II X3 450 instead of the Athon II X2 260 in my case. They are both rated as 3.2, and the asus cpu list only shows the models prior to, such as the Athlon II X3 445 or Athlon II X2 255... go figure. But with this modded bios, thanks to 1234s282, do you think the X3 450 should work as well as your X2 265 or even my other choice of the 260? I would think it should, but still would like to hear opinion or thoughts from anyone on that. Then is it safe to say that Asus will not provide another bios update (not beta) on a this older board? I guess it will not matter if this modded bios works, and hopefully it will. Thank you again 1234s282 for providing that.
This may help you with your comparisons when purchasing, but as far as I can tell because the C3 stepping is supported in the 5005 BIOS the CPUs hould all work

[Image: amd-cpu-compare-1.png]

TheWiz
Hi All,

Thanks for the bios hack, 1234s282 and commentary from TheWiz.

@bossalinie I don't have a 265 on hand at the moment, so I was going to buy one. In the meantime I have been using a 555 from a separate project, which is 3.2GHz and was supported by the stock 5005 bios.

The hacked 5005 bios kindly provided by 1234s282 seems to work just the same as the stock 5005, for the 555 at least, so I would guess that it should be all good for the other CPUs supported by the donor 2603 bios.

I note that there has since been an update issued for that motherboard bios (up to version 2701), which provides support for CPUs up to 3.6GHz.

Thanks again,
djk
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12