Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: P4DC6+ BIOS modify defaults
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First of all I would like to say I'm a newbie at this and so I've been reading up on using Modbin and some of the other utilities. Heres the situation, I am trying to modify the supermicro P4DC6+ BIOS so that the default values are the values I want. The reason is that at my work we use many of these motherboards in our systems and its a pain in the neck everytime the CMOS battery dies to go in and set up the bios to work in our servers. I want to be able to go into the server, replace the battery, reset the BIOS to defaults (my defaults) using the jumper on the board and be done.

I read the tutorial on using Modbin 6 and have had been able to open the rev 1.3 Bios sucessfully and change all the Setup Screen default fields except for one field. In BIOS bin file, the CPU multiplier field should be last field under the Advanced->Processor Features menu, where the CPU multiplier field should be instead shows up as a "@" character. In the tutorial, it was recomended to not edit fields with wierd characters as this may corrupt the BIOS. I would like to edit this field so that it reflects the correct CPU multiplier for our machines (they are all 2.2Ghz xeons so the multiplier should be set to 22x, defualt value is 16x).

So my question is the CPU multiplier field editable to set a new default and if it is not in this part of the BIOS, where does the CPU multiplier number reside?
CPU Multiplier isnt editable anyway unless you have an intel extreme or amd black edition processor. Otherwise the processor multiplier is locked. Sometimes windows will auto adjust the multiplier up and down as needed to save power. When you run a cpu intesive application the multiplier goes to the max , when your computer is idle the multiplier lowers

Regards
Admin