Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: [REQUEST] Xeon 5450 micrcode update for Asus P5Q deluxe
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

Ive bought a Xeon E5450 and despite that I have updated my BIOS to the latest one ( 2301 ) the OS sees only two cores instead of 4. I dont know if its the CPU-s or the BIOS-s fault but in case its on the BIOS then could someone please update the microcodes ? Or could someone link me an article/description/whatever that explains how to do it ?

Thanks in advance.

Edit:

I gave a try doing this myself, I found an article about it.

I followed the instructions strictly, inserted all the microcodes for my stepping, flashed the bios, but still the OS shows and uses only two cores.

Processor:

CPUID Revision 00010676h
CPU Stepping C0

Added all microcodes for 0676 from here these can be found in the rom file after the verification as well.

There result is: m2301_x5450.rom

What did I do wrong ? Or is it something wrong with the CPU ?

Edit#2:

I received the solution. There was a 2 core CPU in my rig and the boot settings were set to use 2 cores. Should anyone have this issue: untick the #cores at msconfig/boot/advanced and reboot and the OS will start using all 4 cores. BTW the updated BIOS with the new microcodes works fine if someone needs it.