Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: PiPo W1 (Z3740D) Tablet BIOS Unlock / ME Region Backup and Flash
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone!

I signed up here because I have a huge problem and only some professionals from here might be able to help. I've got a Chinese tablet called PiPo W8 which is shutting down every 30 minutes. I figured out that the reason is a corrupted Intel Trusted Execution Engine Firmware, which according to my knowledge resides in the ME Block of the BIOS. It is an AMI Aptio Bios and in the BIOS menu it is showing "TXE FW Version: N/A" and "Sec RC Version: N/A". In Windows it shows "STATUS_DEVICE_POWER_FAILURE" for the device "Intel Trusted Execution Management Interface". The Windows Logs say "ERROR TXEI - Intel Trusted Execution Engine Interface driver has failed to perform handshake with the Firmware". A little Googling brought up that this seems to be a common issue when it comes to tablets with the Intel Atom Z3740D processor. So far no solution has been found except replacing the unit.

Well, the first thing I actually tried was to unlock the hidden menus inside the BIOS. I wanted to access the Intel TXE settings to disable this feature in the hope that it would stop doing shut downs after 30 minutes then. What I did was to try it with AMIBCP 4.55. This tool can open the BIOS and I can change the menu visibility, but upon saving it it will give me an error and the BIOS image rebuild fails. So it does not seem to be compatible with this tool.

The next thing I tried was unlocking the menus using this tutorial: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads...MSR-unlock!
Now my BIOS menu unfortunately looks totally different from the one in the tutorial. I tried fumbling around with a Hex Editor myself, but of course after flashing the modded image I ended up with a bricked BIOS (I really don't have any experience with this). I then got a BIOS dump from a Cube iWork 10, which is the same tablet with different housing. Now it is working again thanks to the AMI recovery feature.

So now there are basically two ways to go:
1st: Creating a dump with ME region from a working tablet. But how? Anyone knows that?
2nd: Finding a way of unlocking the hidden menus to disable the whole TXE and ME sh**. For this purpose I have attached a image of the BIOS.

Thanks a lot for any help in advance!

Best Regards,

Chris