Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Asus P4G533-LA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I've been giving my old desktops the "mobile treatment." On my Athlon 64 system I dropped a mobile chip into the motherboard, grinded down the heatsink retention bracket, and it works like a charm with help from CPUMSR. I tried the same thing on my Pentium 4 Asus P4G533-LA board and...well, it didn't go as well. The computer boots up and everything but I'm stuck at a lame 12x multiplier (for a speed of 1.2 GHz), worse than any Pentium 4 ever shipped. CPUMSR lists the maximum multiplier of 20x (the speed I want) but doesn't allow me to make any adjustments.

What I want to know is, can the BIOS be modded to force the mobile 2 GHz P4 to actually run at 2 GHz? If it can, can I step up to a 2.6 GHz mobile later? I bought the 2 GHz chip for $2.53 as an experiment, so it's no big deal if I can't get it to go faster.

I'm currently running version 3.17 (the latest) of the BIOS from HP's website; the board is an OEM board made by Asus for Compaq before HP bought them out. Here's the link:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software2/...p24024.exe

Any additional options in the BIOS that can be unlocked are icing on the cake Smile

Thanks!

Voltoid