Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Unlock hidden menus on Thinkpad Edge E145
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I'm trying to unlock my bios, to enable hidden settings. I hope to be able to perform overclocking on my Laptop (Thinkpad Edge E145).
I have a Phoenix BIOS Menu called "Config", and under there "Serial SATA (SATA)", "Beep and Alarm" and some more, sub-menu's. However, I am unable to
find these strings in the extracted BIOS files.

So I tried to find interesting strings by random, and found these:
SpeedStep (<-- however this is Intel technology?)
CoreMultiProcessing
CPUPowerManagement
LenovoHiddenSetting
LenovoSecurityConfig
AMDSetup
AMDSetup2
LenovoSecurityConfig
AMD_cpm_setup
LenovoConfig

Then I found this interesting code:

lea rcx, aLenovohiddense ; "LenovoHiddenSetting"
mov qword ptr [rbp+7Fh], 22h
call qword ptr [rax]
test rax, rax
js loc_A3B

I think by forcing this jump, I might enable this sub-menu. However, its very new to me and I do not want to brick my BIOS.. Can someone tell me if I'm on the right track, or perhaps help me with unlocking my BIOS?

Here's my BIOS file: http://rghost.net/58665878

Regards,
CHariri
(10-23-2014, 08:55 AM)CHariri Wrote: [ -> ]. . .

Hi friend,
the Phoenix Bios Expert is Slm6397 (Steven), but It seems interesting !
I would give a look to this Module Code, can You upload It or write where You found that Code . . . ?
Let me know
Regards
(10-23-2014, 10:47 AM)BDMaster Wrote: [ -> ]

Hi friend,
I would give a look to this Module Code, can You upload It or write where You found that Code . . . ?
Let me know
Regards

Hi! Tx for reply!

There are many files that show this; some of them are attached. Please search for name (shift+f4) "hidden" in them. Then you will find aLenovoHiddenSettings, and xref. Inside IDA.
Maybe many files need patching... so if I try it myself I'll have a high chance bricking it. Perhaps I should buy BusPirate, then I can just reflash a backed up ROM.

Greets,
CHariri
Hello BDMaster & CHariri

This BIOS is UEFI, so I am unable to mod it as of right now. Sorry that I could not be of more assistance.
(10-25-2014, 05:39 AM)CHariri Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-23-2014, 10:47 AM)BDMaster Wrote: [ -> ]

Hi friend,
Let me know
Regards

Hi! Tx for reply!

There are many files that show this; some of them are attached. Please search for name (shift+f4) "hidden" in them. Then you will find aLenovoHiddenSettings, and xref. Inside IDA.
Maybe many files need patching... so if I try it myself I'll have a high chance bricking it. Perhaps I should buy BusPirate, then I can just reflash a backed up ROM.

Greets,
CHariri

Hi friend,
are You sure there isn't a Menu Tab Option for LenovoHiddenSettings as lately there are many Bioses with this feature and many times is used into EFI IFR (for your I checked and there isn't).
So if there are not any option You can try and You are on right way, but about brick I cannot be sure It wil not.
Regards
Thanks to Steven for his support anyway.
(10-26-2014, 11:15 AM)Sml6397 Wrote: [ -> ]...

Hi! Thanks for your time and looking at the BIOS!

(10-26-2014, 11:32 AM)BDMaster Wrote: [ -> ]...

Much appreciated, here's the Menu's I have when I go into BIOS:

Code:
+Main

+Config
   >Network
   >USB
   >Keyboard/Mouse
   >Display
   >Power
   >Beep and Alarm
   >Serial ATA (SATA)

+Date/Time

+Security
   +Password
   +UEFI BIOS Update Option
   +Memory Protection
   +Virtualisation
   +I/O Port Access
   +Anti-Theft
      >Computrace
   +Secure Boot

+Startup
   >Boot

+Restart

So, I think there's no hidden settings tab. Will try to enable it. Tnx Smile.
(10-26-2014, 11:32 AM)BDMaster Wrote: [ -> ]...

Look here :

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads...post756757

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q8aOFKts7s

I am talking about something like this !!!

There is a Variable into VarStore which control Hidden Tabs so 0x22 may be the container of value to enable or disable Hidden Tabs, Bios just checking the value (some bits elevated) example 0xFF = 11111111 (bits setted) and Bios can show the Hidden Tabs.
Only It's necessary to disassembling much Bios Code and extracting VarStore, etc. a long history and work.
I know You have possbilities to do this miracle, so let us get good news.
Regards