Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: ($30 Paypal) Lenovo Thinkpad L530 3720QM support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently upgraded the cpu in my E520 from a 2520M to a 2760QM. Though the cpu was not officially supported, it worked perfectly without so much as a bios update. It even benchmarks above passmark's average.

Smash cut to ebay a couple weeks later where I picked up a L530 and a 3720QM in an attempt to pull the same trick on an Ivy Bridge system. I installed the new cpu and it didn't post. Just some beep errors.

After doing quite a lot of research and buying a spi programmer I have tried the following:

Updating the BIOS (beep errors)
Updating the microcodes (beep errors)
Flashing a coreboot rom based on the T530 (would not even power on)
And flashing a rom with all microcode related data replaced with W530 code (still booted old processor, but gave beep errors with the 3720QM)

So this leaves me with a question. What could I be missing? The sockets and chipsets are compatible. It has got to be a BIOS problem. Is there a CPU whitelist I am not aware of?

I have not really been able to find any further information and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alternatively, if someone can figure this out with the attached BIOS file, I will send $30 via paypal
(03-13-2015, 03:35 PM)tora5 Wrote: [ -> ]I recently upgraded the cpu in my E520 from a 2520M to a 2760QM. Though the cpu was not officially supported, it worked perfectly without so much as a bios update. It even benchmarks above passmark's average.

Smash cut to ebay a couple weeks later where I picked up a L530 and a 3720QM in an attempt to pull the same trick on an Ivy Bridge system. I installed the new cpu and it didn't post. Just some beep errors.

After doing quite a lot of research and buying a spi programmer I have tried the following:

Updating the BIOS (beep errors)
Updating the microcodes (beep errors)
Flashing a coreboot rom based on the T530 (would not even power on)
And flashing a rom with all microcode related data replaced with W530 code (still booted old processor, but gave beep errors with the 3720QM)

So this leaves me with a question. What could I be missing? The sockets and chipsets are compatible. It has got to be a BIOS problem. Is there a CPU whitelist I am not aware of?

I have not really been able to find any further information and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Alternatively, if someone can figure this out with the attached BIOS file, I will send $30 via paypal

Here you go: https://www.sendspace.com/file/6r1vnr

I assume you know how to flash the BIOS file

If not let me know

Please be aware I am not responsible if your laptop bricks, although it shouldnt as ive just replaced an un-used cpu's microcode with 3720QM's microcode.