Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Newbie needs help please - Toshiba whitelist?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is the first time I've ever run into this problem. Upgrading wifi card, but Intel 7265 AC "won't start". Here goes:

Toshiba Satellite S55 comes with Azurewave NGFF M.2 card with Broadcom BCM943142Y. I'm assuming it's 2.4GHz only because it did not see my 5 GHz network. I swapped it out with better Intel 7265 AC NGFF M.2 wifi card. I can install the drivers fine, but cannot connect and device manager shows yellow triangle. Error says device cannot start and a cryptic "Code 10". Upon further research of the problem, I find out that some manufacturers have a "whitelist" for wifi cards and this may be the problem.

BIOS is crap. I don't think I've ever seen a BIOS this basic before. It's so simple and no real tweakable settings. It's called "Toshiba Setup Utility". There are no settings to assist me with the problem. I'm assuming that the new wifi card is not on the whitelist, but I do not know how to verify it.

So here are my questions:
1. How can I find out which wifi cards are on the whitelist?
2. Is there any way to modify this BIOS to add the new wifi card or disable the whitelist?
3. I've heard of manually taping contacts to bypass the disable feature. Is this possible with my scenario?
4. If I am S.O.L., can I use a USB 3.0 wifi adapter without running into the same problem?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!!!