Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Modify Phoenix intel 440BX reference bios
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[attachment=9354]
Hi,
Here's what I'm trying to do:
VMWare ESXi uses the reference Intel 440BX bios for Virtual machines. The actual 440BX.rom file is hidden way deep, but extractable and I have it.

I have Phoenix Bios editor & was able to monkey around some with it.  Nothing of any use, but I can make changes & boot from the modified file and see my changes.

VM's have a Vmware SVGA adapter, which is stuck as the primary GPU that the VM boots from. I am successfully passing through various PCIe graphics cards, but the VM will always boot to the VMware SVGA adapter.  On many other bios's I have the option to set the primary or boot graphics adapter, but not in this bios. Theoretically, I should be able to use "vga" capabilities of an added PCIe graphics card during install, and have full capabilities once the OS is installed & I install the driver.  I have been able to disable the "onboard" vga,  but the VM boots to blank screen both in the MKS & an attached display.

I would assume that other BIOS on real hardware that allow primary GPU to be selected must query the card somehow & load something from the card to enable it. Just a guess.....

Is it possible to MOD this bios to add this feature? I have seen other mods for this bios, but mostly to facilitate M$ activation. What I need is obviously more complicated than that, but I'm hoping someone already has some familiarity with this bios.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, so much so that I would be willing to pay for a rom that does this

Thanks!
Eric