Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: HP MCP61PM-HM (Nettle2) 5.27 With Unlocked Overclocking Options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Was wondering if this bios worked for the mcp61pm-gm rev 2.1 MB that came with the Gateway 5670. I am planning to upgrade to an am3 cpu so any info will be most helpful thank you
(08-28-2011, 07:48 PM)TheWiz Wrote: [ -> ]I finally got this board back in my testing rig setup, so I will have to go back and run some tests. Please send me a PM in a few days to remind me about it.

TheWiz

First off I just want to show MY appreciation for your continued support on this board. I have done my very best to take my time and be patient and read every last post in this 63 page thread as well as your original post when you first modded it.. from another forum... (I have misplaced the link.) I've been reading for 3 hours. I'm new to overclocking pc's and to bios upgrading in general... to make matters worse my best pc is this board.. Which is an AMD and I have 0 EXP. Using AMD boards. I have always used Intel until I recently learned enough about the hardware I've procured along the years and realized how much better this board is over any of my old Intel boards. I learned step by step by googling as much details as I possibly could about this board: MCP61PM-HM REV.1.0A and no-where could I find one that looks like the picture above with the same model rev and underneath the 15--V06-011010 butttttttttttttt with open solder slots.. No clue what terminology to use here but I have modded in the past and I'm trying to give as much detail as possible. Here's a picture of my board. The Red circles indicate Open slots where components are missing. The Red circle with the line through it is where I only have a single Mic/Audio in/Aux Jac unlike the picture which has dual I'm guessing. Yes my board says very clearly on the side in the exact same place "8-ch Audio." There's also a few capacitors missing (the group of 3) from behind the USB/Ethernet Ports. Where these components should be there's just a series of holes filled in with solder which looks like where you would add the components in.

Questions:

1.) Is this in fact possible to upgrade via soldering the missing components in? Mainly the DIMM slots so I can go from 4GB Max to 8GB Max as well as the SATA slots? The other components aren't important to me? Or are they? LOL
2.) Can I just use DIMM and SATA slots that I desolder from another board that matches the RAM? Or if no could someone point me towards where I could get these components for my machine?
3.) It seems to me that this thread because of the upgrade capabilities of this board and it's relevance still in computing power by today's standards should be tagged and watched as much as could if at all possible by those in the KNOW. And hopefully - IMPORTANTLY (before anyone dishes out some bucks) a new help file with link to the newest custom bios version and it's tested/working processor compatibility.
4.) Max Watt (89w)? Phenom II / Athlon II? Max mhz? Max FSB/s?
If I new how to compose it I would gladly create a compatibility report from the posts within this thread and the other competing thread of the same topic. What I can do is gather the date for someone else if requested..
5.) Is this the latest version of the bios?
(08-28-2011, 07:48 PM)TheWiz Wrote: [ -> ]"Hi everyone, The CPU voltage option is in a special version of this BIOS, which is available here following the same instructions:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1525839/abit_unlocked.bin

The Wiz"

I would be more then happy to read over this thread and condense all the results into a help file or a doc for "The Wiz" to look over and fix bugs etc.

Thanks so much for any replies.. God bless those who got through this whole post........ Smile
Found this link to help with the soldering. Relevant?

http://coecsl.ece.illinois.edu/segbot/dimm.html
Here's a link to my exact board but it's a little small. The best yahoo answer is what I'm going to try. Does anyone have any experience or know how specifically on this board of this hardware upgrade?
Post it's from --> http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110320202805AALlOaQ
Actual Link to a pic of my mobo with missing components --> LINK........
Oh Mighty Wiz-

I have an HP Pavilion a6042n w/ AMD Anthlon 64 x 2 4200+.... (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docum...=c00883080&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3409102&lang=en)

If I am able to run this BIOS update, thank you in advance, what is the best CPU currently availble for me to upgrade? Please help me narrow my choices so I can make the right decision.

Thank You
If it wasn't mentioned before I do it now.

I've tested the Phenom X3 8450 and it's NOT working with the bios from the first page.

Too bad....

Thx!!
(10-09-2009, 10:13 AM)TheWiz Wrote: [ -> ]Are you saying that you booted to a black screen? Otherwise how did you know your computer booted? Also, we are having some problems with the version 2, so can you confirm which version you tried.

If you are truly at a black screen, follow the award recovery procedures in the tutorial section.
Thanks,

Chris

where an i find this section? im new to the forum and black screened mine as well
(09-30-2011, 11:50 PM)ManiaC00L Wrote: [ -> ]4.) Max Watt (89w)? Phenom II / Athlon II? Max mhz? Max FSB?

If I new how to compose it I would gladly create a compatibility report from the posts within this thread and the other competing thread of the same topic. What I can do is gather the date for someone else if requested..

The online specs, which include the 89W limit, seem to be for the V1.0A board (which is pictured). The HP M8300f comes stock with an Athlon 64X2 6000+, which is rated at 125W, but it has a V1.0B board. So obviously HP believes that the V1.0B can handle it. Since yours is a V1.0A, I can't say whether the 89W limit is real or not. I've not found anything online from HP that specifically lists the V1.0B board to see if the CPU power capability is, indead, different.

Of course, you have to be sure your power supply will handle the extra wattage, too. HP is notorious for putting in power supplies that just barely meet the requirements of the stock hardware. The M8300f, sold as a multimedia PC and including the above-mentioned 125W Athlon 64X2 6000+, 2 HD's, and a bay for a removable HD, came with only a 300W supply, which didn't have a lot of margin on the 12V bus. After a few years, it became unstable and a 500W supply solved that.

Having just gone through this huge thread, I can attest that a summary would be a wonderful thing for us newcommers. A summary of the status (including the answers to your questions 4 & 5 and common issues) and links to messages about less common issues would be great.

Maybe that could be included when the next version comes out (since it will hopefully support more processors, making any summary prior to that obsolete).
(08-30-2011, 10:57 AM)shad0wboss Wrote: [ -> ]Just want to ask, if i continue flashing the bios through HP setup in windows and my computer fails to boot, how can i recover my genuine bios back?

Well, you could always buy a separate flash ROM chip and use that for your experiments -- that's the only 100% foolproof way.

Or you can save your existing bios with awdflash. Here is an excellent reference to all the awdflash options, including how to save the current BIOS: http://www.lejabeach.com/Guide/awardbios.html . With a saved image, the recovery option in the tutorials should work fine if you find yourself in a non-booting situation.
I conducted this procedure on a Nettle 1 Hp Compaq with success. The system boots under Win 7 without issue (that I am aware of)...thank you.

The reason I attempted this was to upgrade my Mobo so that it would recognise an Athlon II CPU...unfortunately, it still does not.

I have a Gigabyte Mobo, early model, that has a very similar BIOS to the upgrade BIOS for HP that you kindly provided, and it supports the Athlon II, but unfortunately, the upgraded BIOS of the MCP61PM-HM (Nettle 1) still does not.

Is there anything in the BIOS settings I need to change so that it will operate using the Athlon II, or do I still need to do more tweaking?

Thanks
Tom

PS Just joined and read thru 63 pages that I was not aware of, I understand the Athlon II is not supported yet. I have a Gigabyte, Asus and HP Nettle Mobo as well as 3 x chips, (Athlon 64, Athlon x2 64, and Athlon II) to test things with. I would like to help.

(07-12-2009, 10:37 PM)TheWiz Wrote: [ -> ][Image: ECSNettle2.jpg]
For screenshots of BIOS setup, please visit http://www.bios-mods.com/blog/?p=142

We finally have some really really exciting news. The battle for these common boards to have stable OC menus, voltage modification, Phenom II support, and a professional retail BIOS has finally come. Our most helpful members banana19 and MrTangoWhiskey have found an ABIT retail BIOS, that successfully flashes to all of the OEM boards mentioned with full control of voltage, OC, and has support for all Phenom I/II proccessors.

So before we get to specifics, a brief timeline on the modding proccess for this motherboard. This has been going on for over a year, and it has taken a lot of support and research to get this board where it should be. We originally started off modifying the HP BIOS for the board. we were able to get overclocking options from it, but the menu was very unstable and items were always floating on the screen. After about 8 months of searching for the solution within the HP BIOS, we realized that poor coding quality in the BIOS was unfixable, and it was time to find the retail fit. I had been doing research on this when a kind member on the forum pointed that this BIOS had all the goods. Its version numbers were similar, it had the same chipset (BIOS donated from ABIT board) and abit has always been known for having overclocking options. With this unlock, we have unlocked what we would see in a retail award bios. The most appealing features are control of AMD Cool and Quiet, Adjustment of CPU FSB, PhenomII support (65-95W recommended) and even setting the voltage and memory timings.

That said, what are you waiting for? Here’s what we need to get started:
1. First, we need to prepare a bootable USB to launch DOS and flash the new BIOS. To do so, download the HP USB disk format tool and install it here

2. Once installed, open the utility and select the USB to format. Below, tick the bubble for creating an MSDOS startup disk. It will then want you to point it to a DOS image folder. You will need to download and unzip this DOS image (do NOT use your own DOS image) here Once it has completed formating your drive, open up the USB in My Computer. Verify that there are only three files on the USB, making sure to unhide protected operating system files in explorer to see them. If you see three DOS files, you are ready for the next phase.

3. Now we will copy over the ABIT BIOS image as well as the flash utility. You will need download AWDFLASH and copy it over to your USB here Once awdflash has been copied over, download the Bios image and save it to your usb from here

4. Once these files have been copied over, you are ready to flash. Reboot windows, and when the BIOS screen comes up hold down Esc and select your USB to boot off of. You will then see a WIN98 splashscreen temporarily flash and you will be in DOS. Once at the prompt, type in the following command:

awdflash M613Z_19.BIN /py /sn /cc / cd /cp /wb /r

Once you type this in you should see on screen the progress of the BIOS flash. When it has finished, it will automatically restart the systen. When it does, tap the delete key to eter the BIOS. There are a couple of this that you will instantly have to do for the best results. Set Smart Fan to Auto in PC Health setup, Enable HPET Support in Advanced BIOS setup, and in the standard setup, MAKE SURE that the floppy is disabled, or it may stall windows for several odd reasons. Out of our four testers, we have all had success with this mod, each on a different board. I was a second tester for the Nettle2 and have a few more words. If you are planning to do this, I recommend backing up windows in case you have to reformat, which wasn’t that bad considering WHS backs up my data. Also, if you hear loud fan noise do not worry. First off, I am the only tester who had tis issue, but if you do have this issue then unplugging the rear system fan on the back of the case will instantly make the box silent, and colling isn’t affected. I have also made a work around for solving the fan speed issue, if you need it (which you shouldn’t) then you can hit the support forum. We are ensuring 24hr. technical support for these boards, and by become a member of Bios Mods (free) you can post on the forums with any questions.

Hi people,

I bought from eBay one AMD Phenom X4 9150e (this link has all the info you'll ever need: HERE).

I have tried installing this CPU on my Compaq Presario SG3317BR, which has this Nettle2 motherboard installed. I'm using this ABIT unlocked BIOS and it's working fine with my current Athlon X2 BE-2350 CPU (dual-core 2.1 GHz). I'm using this set-up for months, including a RAID array.

But when I try to install this Phenom X4 on my board, it refuses to boot. When this chip is installed, the chassis power led does not turn on - it remains off and the whole system does not respond, no beeps, nothing, just the fans spinning. Then, when I try to power off, everything shuts down except for the hard disks, so I'm forced to pull the power cord manually.

When I install the X2 CPU back again, the system works fine, the power led lights up, the board beeps and the OS starts up perfectly.

I've already tried chaging the BIOS version to that "ABIT unlocked" file that TheWiz posted here before:

Quote:"Hi everyone, The CPU voltage option is in a special version of this BIOS, which is available here following the same instructions:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1525839/abit_unlocked.bin

The Wiz"

... but no luck, the results are still the same and this version does not offer RAID support, so I've switched back to the initial unlocked version.

My primary objective is to make this Phenom X4 work with my board - I can live without my RAID array, I'd just need to backup and reinstall the system on another HD. Does anyone know how to set up my system and BIOS in order to make it boot up with this Phenom CPU?

Thank you all!
can you link me a mod for the Mcp61pm-hw nettle2 that is compatible with a AMD athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ socket AM2 (940) 65nm

i extracted the contents from the "sp37530.exe" when i download the mod its going to be in a .bin format do i just rename that as the Net5.27? then run it?

thank you