Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: HP MCP61PM-HM (Nettle2) 5.27 With Unlocked Overclocking Options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So i tryed flashing my bios with every version posted (somelinks are dud, 404's) i read through all 65 pages 3 times. i have the mcp61pm-hm nettle2 (cpu stats below).
The bios upgraded but then i set my "cpu clock" to 230 for example and set it all up, when i boot its still the same clocked at 2612.2MHz, when i overclock then shut off my pc, unplug it for 20 secs, turn it back on in bios it shows its clock is at 2977Mhz but when i boot into windows it goes back to the default.
for some reason its not saving properly. do you have any recent updated bios where i can actually change the voltages or can you tell me how i can make my clock stay clocked.
thank you

Hi shizzashax,

Which BIOS do you have flashed, and which links have given you 404s?

@fai - I didn't see pin one labelled in your diagram, but if you are still having problems you can send in your chip to us and I can program it with the BIOS that has the correct support.

@scourge - Great BIOS post - I can't remember if I tested this, if it does indeed flash successfully I will post the results and instructions. The current ABIT bios doesn't have regor support.

Warm Regards,
TheWiz
Dear TheWiz,

I have try to use another CPU (AMD Sempron 2800 Stocket AM2) but still no working, and you didn't see the pin one, in the below picture in the top of middle. http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af53/...53-pin.jpg

May be I will give up the fix the problem.
Thanks for your reply and support.

Regards,
Up

someone could help me ? I would to know if the procedure is the same as explain on W7

I have no tabs avaible under my bios menu, to set my Proc settings
shizzashax, Did you lower your HT multiplier to 4x? If it's at 5, that is likely the problem. If you lowered your CPU multiplier, turn cool 'n quiet off.
works great, but sound system doesn't work, any fix?
Hi all....first post. Was able to update bios on page 1, following instructions (instruction note to:Enable HPET Support in Advanced BIOS setup. That feature was in Power Managment, not in Advanced Bios setup).

Here are my questions....bear with me as I am a nube (although I have serviced laptops and desktops for quite a few years).

So I have an HP n8200m which now shows as an Abit board!!

The HP bios was very slow to boot to windows. The new bios has not picked up any speed in that vein (still takes near 30 seconds from cold boot to XP window - then less than 30 seconds to full desktop). Was hoping the new bios would have addressed the boot speed....

I've timed Dells and they take about 5 seconds to get to the XP window.

Any way to shorten the boot time on this bios/PC?

The cpu I have is an Athlon 64 x2 6000+. I kicked it up just 10% in speed (was 3G, now 3.3G) by only adjusting frequency from 200 to 230. Anyone else have experience with this chip? I know it can't get too much more....but I can't see where to adjust cpu voltage. Seems that it runs at 1.35V but the only cpu voltage choices in bios are "1.8V and 1.9V". I think that's too high for this cpu....

Is there an instruction or explanation on the bios posted on page 1?

Any tips on OC? btw - kicking up the freq and at 3.3 speed (reported in XP and also CPU-Z)...the temp actually went down a few degrees! Seems to idle at 34C (cpu2, cpu1 is a few degrees less). I think that's because I removed speedfan and let the bios "cool and quiet" in auto mode take over.....is that ok or should I be doing anything else (have memory set to "auto").

Anyway, wanted to say hi and thanks!

One more comment to post.

Had 4G ram, (4x1G) and in XP Pro 32 bit....showed as 3.5G usable.

Now only shows 3G usable and if checking with cpu-z; only 3 chips show, not all 4.....

Is this because of the Abit bios (well, assume it is but does anyone know why?)?
"Seems that it runs at 1.35V but the only cpu voltage choices in bios are "1.8V and 1.9V". - Those are the voltage options for your system RAM not the CPU.

BIOS, overclocking, etc. isn't going to make your system boot faster although if isn't already checked - make sure that fast memory check and/or fast boot is enabled in the BIOS. The speed of your hard drive, its communication rate, and how clean (from a data and program loading standpoint) you have your system is the main factor in boot speed. There are several tutorials online that will help you improve boot speed.

32bit operating systems like XP only support a max of 3gig RAM. I'm surprised you even ever saw it say 3.5G usable? Are you using onboard video and does it use a portion of your onboard RAM? If cpu-z shows only 3 chips, you may want to try reseating all your RAM as it sounds like one of them may not be registering. cpu-z should see it whether the OS makes use of it or not.

thx for the voltage tip.

I think you misunderstood my question/explanation....my boot time when windows actually starts is less than 25 seconds which I consider very acceptable (no ssd!). It's the time from cold boot till windows starts...which is controlled by how the bios starts up and checks itself I assume. HP has slow bios on some desktops (mine is like 30 seconds). Dell, for example, is extremely fast (when it's not doing its self test)...approx 6 seconds from cold boot to windows start (all I use at home is xp 32 bit). So it's the BIOS I was hoping to speed up. If you have a similar HP, you'll know what I mean. Dell will be my next desktop! Smile

So I was hoping this bios could speed up the power on to windows. It did not.

RAM: All my dells show 3.5G and I've had other HP/Sony/etc that show 3.25G or 3.3G (I repair laptops as a hobby). This one showed 3.5G and now 3G with only a BIOS change. CPU-Z today shows 4 sticks .....but xp still reports 3G. My pc board now shows as an Abit NF-M2S where prior it was a Nettles2.

thanks again.

(01-11-2012, 07:10 PM)scourge Wrote: [ -> ]"Seems that it runs at 1.35V but the only cpu voltage choices in bios are "1.8V and 1.9V". - Those are the voltage options for your system RAM not the CPU.

BIOS, overclocking, etc. isn't going to make your system boot faster although if isn't already checked - make sure that fast memory check and/or fast boot is enabled in the BIOS. The speed of your hard drive, its communication rate, and how clean (from a data and program loading standpoint) you have your system is the main factor in boot speed. There are several tutorials online that will help you improve boot speed.

32bit operating systems like XP only support a max of 3gig RAM. I'm surprised you even ever saw it say 3.5G usable? Are you using onboard video and does it use a portion of your onboard RAM? If cpu-z shows only 3 chips, you may want to try reseating all your RAM as it sounds like one of them may not be registering. cpu-z should see it whether the OS makes use of it or not.

I've read through the topic again and there are a few references to a biostar bios that boots fast. Can't find a link for it and the one link to a blog for it is dead. If there is a biostar bios, would like confirm it works for a Nettle2 ECS MCP61 board (that is now called an abit NF-M2S since I changed to the abit bios on page 1.). Of course, need the link for the bios too (will I be able to use the usb boot process now that I have the Abit bios?).

From The Wiz himself on page 26 post "The Biostar bios itself loads much faster and seems to post in half the time. Plus, I love the splashscreen. also, the fans were working right for me, and this bios had the smartfan adjuster that auto detects the right settings.".

My main quest is to reduce the bios boot time to when windows starts (as noted in above post, it's about 30 seconds to just get to starting windows. Dell is like 6 seconds. Would love something even in between for now!).

Would this work with the board and an Athlon 64 x2 6000+ ? I can't find info on what was updated in the 5.07 version from the page.

http://206.108.48.60/app/en/mb/introduct...p?S_ID=315

edit: would be interesting if it worked...as my board has 4 ram slots and the biostar only has 2 ram slots....but the overall specs look the same. If it just doesn't see the other slots, i can always get 2gx2.
thanks.
[attachment=3398]