Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: HP MCP61PM-HM (Nettle2) 5.27 With Unlocked Overclocking Options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(09-01-2012, 02:38 PM)Oblivious Maximus Wrote: [ -> ]Looks like this could be a voltage problem. Your memory specs say 2.20V and this bios offers 1.8 and 1.9 however I've not been able to make the 1.9V stick in 8 months of use.

I,ve also found some processors will not boot with dual channel mem configuration, this is a puzzle I haven't solved. It may have to do with the cpu's onboard memory controller. My Athlon 64x2 4600+ and 6000+ 3.1 Ghz. will not boot dual channel but the athlon 64x2 6000+ 3.0 will. The 4600+ overclocked to 2.7 single channel nicely and the 6000+ is at 3.2 dual channel and very stable.
I'm using 4 -2GB G-Skill pc2-6400 @ 533Mhz.

I hope you get it working if you haven't already.

I was wondering if I was ever going to get a reply from anybody. Smile Voltage makes sense and I haven't come up with a more plausible theory. I tried emailing the wiz but he's probably tired of getting newbie emails by now lol. Now I'm wondering if there is a way to get more voltage to my memory that doesn't involve soldering. I mean I've got a voltmeter and a soldering iron but considering this is my main computer at the moment, I wouldn't risk it.

(09-09-2012, 02:04 AM)JustLearning Wrote: [ -> ]So I have a problem and I hope you can help me with it.

I have Bios Version 5.20

I can't update to 5.27 because I have Windows 7 64-bit. The HP update won't work with Windows 7; so as far as I can tell, I am stuck with the 5.20 version.

Do I need 5.27 to mod the bios with the work and files you've added here?

Can you do anything to help me? Please?

I appreciate your time and work.

Your problem is likely dust. Dust most likely got in your circuits. All you need to do is take out your RAM; get a can of air spray for computers/electronics and go to work. Make sure everything is dusted off as best as possible; then put your PC back together.

This has happened to me in the past and it worked perfectly. My computer turned on normally.

Cheers, Dodgy

(08-08-2012, 11:11 PM)sidvicious512 Wrote: [ -> ]Ok so I didn't know where else to turn. I flashed this bios onto my cmos a couple of months ago and everything worked out great. I haven't tweaked any of the settings other than the ones mentioned on the front page listed as necessary. The original reason for this was I had what apparently was a corrupted bios and figured why not right? Well now I'm attempting to install some beefier memory into the mobo but when I turn the computer on it gives me 5 beeps, a pause, then an infinite string of beeps(I stopped counting after 50). The memory appears to be compatible with the motherboard according to this page http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupp...=c01077676
I believe this is the memory I am attempting to install
http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-ddr2-pc...n-eol.html
I say I believe because I didn't actually purchase this memory rather it was given to me by a friend who upgraded from the ddr2 stuff long ago. The sticker on the memory says pc2 6400 2GB Dual CH Reaper Series 4-4-4 PN:OCZ2RPR800C44GK

Is this a quirk with the bios or am I missing something?

Oh I forgot to mention I have 2 sticks of this memory and tried each one individually in each slot and it seems unlikely that both are bad though I have no other means available to test them.

Thanks but my pc is clean as a whistle. It turns out mine was a compatibly issue. As for your problem, are you following the original posters directions in using the win98 dos to flash the bios? I'm going to give you an answer that assumes you aren't. I'm pretty sure that windows prohibits overwriting certain parts of the cmos to maintain valid oem keys. So you need to use the win98 method and you may have to purchase a retail copy of windows if you upgraded from an oem copy. Good luck and I hope I was helpful.
PLEASE HELP

I update my HP Pavilion a6200 series ( Model a6210gr : [url=http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=3548186&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=3548186&objectID=c01292218] )

I follow the instruction in the tutorial , i formatted with USB, and everything went ok .
The only different thing i did, it was not to run from command prompt the
awdflash M613Z_19.BIN /py /sn /cc / cd /cp /wb /r
but i the awdflash M613Z_19.BIN and i just flash my board and everything was o.k

The problem i have is that after rebooting my PC i see the first screen with the bios and my machine stays there and dont booting .

The real problem is that don't understand the keyboard . I press del to go to setup and nothing happens...
My PC freeze in that screen ...
I put another keyboard just in case ... but no luck ...

CAN someone please tell me what do because i am desperate ...

P.S. i kept the old BIOS from the HP machine as backup in the USB stick but i can not put it backup because my keyboard not working and can not boot from the stick .
(09-21-2012, 02:59 AM)fotis80 Wrote: [ -> ]PLEASE HELP

I update my HP Pavilion a6200 series ( Model a6210gr : [url=http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=3548186&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=3548186&objectID=c01292218] )

I follow the instruction in the tutorial , i formatted with USB, and everything went ok .
The only different thing i did, it was not to run from command prompt the
awdflash M613Z_19.BIN /py /sn /cc / cd /cp /wb /r
but i the awdflash M613Z_19.BIN and i just flash my board and everything was o.k

The problem i have is that after rebooting my PC i see the first screen with the bios and my machine stays there and dont booting .

The real problem is that don't understand the keyboard . I press del to go to setup and nothing happens...
My PC freeze in that screen ...
I put another keyboard just in case ... but no luck ...

CAN someone please tell me what do because i am desperate ...

P.S. i kept the old BIOS from the HP machine as backup in the USB stick but i can not put it backup because my keyboard not working and can not boot from the stick .

Hello.
If you have a floppy drive on your machine try reflashing the bios with it. If you don't have a built in floppy a external floppy drive should work. That is what I use with good results. If you have trouble finding one look for a removable Dell D-Series laptop drive,they are cheap and easy to find. When removed from the caddy there is a usb port on the back corner which will allow you to connect it to your computer via USB.
Best Wishes
Hi, I just got a black edition AMD athlon 5000+, and I wanted to step up the multiplier without messing with the voltages. I read an entire article about it , and saw that it could go up to x15.5 and stay stable at ~3.1ghz. I got the M613Z_19.BIN bios file and flashed it according to the guide I found on this website. I proceeded into the bios, and could not find any multiplier settings...Any ideas?
Also, what happened to TheWhiz?
@TheWiz. I'm currently using the Abit unlocked BIOS. Rock steady for 2 years. Looking to upgrade with Athlon II / Phenom II type, but don't see where ya'll have had success with this.

Using cbrom and as far as I can tell the Abit BIOS has an older AGESA. Would upgrading that via cbrom allow for newer processors to be used or would the cpu microcode also need to be updated?

You've posted that some of the problem lies with the fact that these Nettle2 boards have 512k chips. There are Gigabyte boards that appear to be versions of this board and support AM3 chips with only 512k size specifically the GA-M61PM-S2.

The Abit BIOS has a CPUCODE.BIN file, but these other ones with AM3 support have a NCPUCODE.BIN. Are these interchangeable? I'm trying to educate myself on this stuff, but I'm reluctant to experiment on my main computer.

Also, I've read back in the posts and saw where people were using a Biostar BIOS at one time. Did it have an AM3 support? Why was the Abit BIOS chosen as the best one.

Thanks!!
@TheWiz. I'm currently using the Abit unlocked BIOS. Rock steady for 2 years. Looking to upgrade with Athlon II / Phenom II type, but don't see where ya'll have had success with this.

Using cbrom and as far as I can tell the Abit BIOS has an older AGESA. Would upgrading that via cbrom allow for newer processors to be used or would the cpu microcode also need to be updated?

You've posted that some of the problem lies with the fact that these Nettle2 boards have 512k chips. There are Gigabyte boards that appear to be versions of this board and support AM3 chips with only 512k size specifically the GA-M61PM-S2.

The Abit BIOS has a CPUCODE.BIN file, but these other ones with AM3 support have a NCPUCODE.BIN. Are these interchangeable? I'm trying to educate myself on this stuff, but I'm reluctant to experiment on my main computer.

Also, I've read back in the posts and saw where people were using a Biostar BIOS at one time. Did it have an AM3 support? Why was the Abit BIOS chosen as the best one.

Thanks!!
I cannot answer all of your questions, but one thing for sure, the abit and the biostar were too diferent to merge all the features into one. I only once got a working BIOS with almost exactly 1024kb wich was only working because of testing failsafe scenarios with a bigger chip. But sadly I sold almost all my stuff and so I can't test anymore. I used the unlocked abit-BIOS for more than a year and it ran like a DURACELL-rabbit, rockhard and fast with the Phenom I and 8 Gb of RAM... We never got a stable AM3 support, only AM2+ seems to work due to the chipset.
I hope some of you will understand, that time goes by and the ability of reading the whole thread(s) decreases the longer one is off it... I don't want to search wich BIOS had wich features, I just can tell you one had a nice splash screen and the other had the nice tuning! I hope this helps you out a bit...
@MrTangoWhiskey - nice to hear from you and thanks for the quick reply.

I hear what you're saying. It's been great, but this project is definitely long in the tooth. That Gigabyte BIOS really interests me because of its 512k size and AM3 support with what appears to be the same old MCP61 chipset. Seems odd I can't beat this one into submission. Feels like it can be done and yet it can't. Things like this always gnaw at me.

Unless TheWiz has any other words of wisdom, that's probably about it. Guess I'll finally break down and upgrade the whole thing. Would have been nice to get another year out this old and completely unrecognizable Acer T180.

And sorry about that double post. Don't know what happened there.
After flashing to the updated overclocking bios, I noticed I am no longer able to boot from my usb flash drive. Has anyone else tested this?

Also noticed POST is much longer than the original HP bios. I am actually missing the original HP bios. I went back to the 527 and boot time seems like the original but I am still unable to boot from my usb drive.

HP Pavilion m8300f

I've done a search and did not find anything in this thread so forgive me if I missed it.

Does anyone have a backup of their original HP bios before they flashed to the updated unlocked bios being offered here?

I tried it and didn't like it. It increased my boot time because POST takes longer. I am no longer able to boot from a usb flash drive. Overclocking did nothing for me except cause crashes even at minimal clock adjustments.

I tried the 527 bios and my boot time got better but still not as fast as the original HP bios, and I am STILL unable to boot from my usb drive.

I miss the original HP bios. I have the bios update from HP (was able to dl couple of years ago but HP has since removed it) but even when in Vista, it tells me I don't meet the requirements. I believe its because flashing to the unlocked bios, its no longer an HP bios.

I extracted the files from the .exe but it is the 527 bios. Please help!!
Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay in replying to the discussion here, it has been a busy few months. In regards to the Phenom I/II support, unlike MrTangoWhiskey I was not able to get the Phenom I to run on my nettle board, however that doesn't mean it is impossible. If you have a BIOS you would like me to test but haven't because you fear bricking the board, I will test CPU functionality for you if you drop the link in a reply. Otherwise I can independently retest images if there is an interest.

As for the original HP BIOS, I believe I have a copy of both 5.19 and 5.27 for those interested. To boot USB in the BIOS, normally its just a matter of holding the esc key to bring up the boot menu.

Regards,
TheWiz