Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: REQUEST (question maybe..) IBM xSeries 236 + xeon 7020(SL8UA)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
What's part number of native VRM?
That will be a problem. The native VRM is on the 13N0879 Mother Board. I don't even have original boxes, the CPU was there, when I got the server.
Can you make a good foto of a sticker on a heatsink of native VRM board (inserted near second CPU on your motherboard).
I don't have second cpu there, so there is none VRM for the second cpu either. I have just one cpu and its VRM is on the MB itself.
The attachment is the photo of the board. The right CPU slot is populated and has no slot for vrm.
The left CPU slot is unpopulated and the VRM slot is also unpopulated. So I have no idea what is the motherboard capable of supporting...
Thank you for your time.
OK, I see. 24R2691 should work.
Perfect, thank you very much.
I will inform on my progress. Thank you for your time.
(01-26-2016, 11:56 AM)DeathBringer Wrote: [ -> ]OK, I see. 24R2691 should work.

I "think" that  the 24R2691 is the one for Dual Core CPUs, which SL8MA is, and the 74P4485 is only for Single Core CPUs.  

If I remember right, the SL8MA setup I had didn't work with the 74P4485 VRM...

Please let use know what works out best for you!
Thanks for all your help. The CPUs came two days ago, I will install them and the VRM next week and I will inform you on the results. Thank you.
(03-19-2016, 06:01 PM)B0D_Mr4ZU Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for all your help. The CPUs came two days ago, I will install them and the VRM next week and I will inform you on the results. Thank you.

Please do.

I had gotten rid of the original IBM x236 that had them running in it, but I still have two Intel SR2400 and SR1450 servers running them just fine (same chipset, but those servers have a SATA upgrade option for the back plane).

But after I had posted here, I saw an IBM x236 on sale on CL in my area for $25, so I grabbed it and started putting them all together again... But..  I have only been able to get one SL8MA CPU running so far.  Every time I add the second one, it keeps showing an error.  I've swapped the CPUs and they work fine in CPU1 slot without each other.

I've got the BIOS upgraded to 1.08 and the BMC upgraded to 1.14 (Won't work otherwise due to bugs in prev. versions).  So maybe the VRM info is wrong after all. 

I'm looking into it...  Let me know if anyone else has any more information...  My next step is to see if the CPUs will work together in one of the Intel Servers without any issues.  That might be the problem.
Well no luck today...
The situation is the same as ChipInNC described. Both cpus run in cpu1 socket, but when they are both connected, there is an error with cpu2.
It's funny, because I tried both VRMs, the 24R2691 and the 74P4485 and the error was still "CPU2" not "VRM2" (the error checking thing on the side panel)
Than I realised, I have BIOS 1.02... (it even saied, that that the bios do not support the processor, but it booted with one..) But yes two are not working.. So what do you think? Is the VRM not suitable for the chip? Next what do you think, which BIOS version should I update it to? (there is 1.06 in the thread, but I saw 1.08 I think )
Also, what is Your experience with the two of the chips in the Intel system? Any luck?
Thank you all for your time!
Pages: 1 2 3