Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Extract Dell BIOS image
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've got a Dell Venue 11 Pro 7130 which is (effectively) non functional.

There is an issue with the main boot device, its not detected. I am unable to boot from any other devices (usb/sd/etc) due to the bios being configured to only boot from the ssd. Its system locked so I'm unable to edit the configuration.

I've had it apart and tried removing the cmos battery and an assortment of other things that didn't work. 

I've been toying with reprogramming the bios to hopefully completely reset and remove the password but I cant figure out how to get a bios image from the exe available from dell.

None of the flags, such as -writebinfile and the like, are available on the latest versions (or older versions) of the bios. I've tried running the exe to see if it unpacks the files but it looks like it detects that its not running on the correct hardware and doesn't even bother loading.

I've tried running it under dos too and there is a /b flag but have not been able to find any information about it's use.

I've managed to read the existing bios image from the chip, but I don't know what if anything I can do with it.

Can anyone tell me weather it's possible (and how) to extract an image from the update files?

BIOS Update in question
After trying and failing to convert the file I tried the passwords generated from the service tag (again) and it worked. Unlocked and flashed the BIOS with the dell tool. Still can't get the uefi boot to work but thats likely down to not knowing how it works!
(12-05-2016, 04:15 PM)NickSlash Wrote: [ -> ]After trying and failing to convert the file I tried the passwords generated from the service tag (again) and it worked. Unlocked and flashed the BIOS with the dell tool. Still can't get the uefi boot to work but thats likely down to not knowing how it works!

Hi! can you please be more specific? convert the file? whick one (I suppose the one from dell.com) and from what to what? "Password generated from the service tag"? As far as I know the service tag is a number and it doesn't generate other numbers on its own Wink

PS: modern dell PCs and laptops have a special recovery procedure that can be used when the computer doesn't post; perhaps the venue has one too?