Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Two single QPI processors in dual motherboard
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!

I know this has been asked a lot and I know that it is not possible to use two xeon E5-16xx in a dual cpu motherboard (let alone i7's).

Also, I'm aware that some people built a custom chipset for CPU-CPU communications (via chipset, rather than QPI), but require OS and Bios modifications.

My question is: How to make dual xeon E5-16xx (single QPI) processors on one motherboard possible without the two communicating with each other.

Example: 
  • Two E5-16xx on a dual cpu motherboard
  • Unraid/XEN virtualization to run two independent OS's, let's say Windows
  • All CPU1 cores to OS1, all CPU2 cores to OS2 (minus one core to run Unraid)
That way I reckon there should be no need for the CPU's to communicate with each other. 
My worry is that the computer won't boot because it doesn't know what to do with two separate processors.

I don't know the exact mechanics and I don't know how or why the computer won't boot or what would happen if it just did.. But this is very intriguing. I hope somebody can shed some light on this crazy idea and share some knowledge on how things work and/or what is possible, what is not and why.

All the best,
Theo