Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Qosmio X505-Q850 bios unlock request
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just got a laptop upgrade. I had a Toshiba satellite l455-s5009 and got a Qosmio X505-Q850 from my uncle. and its got a problem. it shuts down due to possibly due to overheating. I have cleaned the heat sinks and reapplied thermal paste and its got a fanbase too. but after about 15 minuts when playing terratech it just shuts off. the screen turns black and i have to boot it up. my 2nd to last solution is modding the bios to where i can run fans at max 24/7 or be able to control it. I used pc health moniter and before it dies it dosnt even reach 100% tempature. Right now its at about 45-50 C* (113-122 F ) and gets to about 65-75 C* (149-167 F ) before it blacks out. My last resort is buying new fans.

specs

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name QOSMIO

System Manufacturer TOSHIBA

System Model Qosmio X505

System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel® Core™ i7 CPU       Q 720  @ 1.60GHz, 1600 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date TOSHIBA V2.90, 12/10/2010

SMBIOS Version 2.6

Windows Directory C:\windows

System Directory C:\windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"

User Name Qosmio\Jacob

Time Zone US Eastern Standard Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 5.99 GB

Available Physical Memory 3.70 GB

Total Virtual Memory 12.0 GB

Available Virtual Memory 9.44 GB

Page File Space 5.99 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

*used Speedfan for temp
Your problem is unlikely a BIOS issue, the fans are thermally controlled based on temperature. Basically the fan speed will increase when it's hot. If you have cleared the heatsink and fans of dust, re-applied thermal paste on BOTH the CPU and GPU, and it still shut down, the problem is something else. Replacing a fan will not fix your problem.

I am a Toshiba tech so I know the Qosmio is a technician nightmare, many Qosmio has multiple video cards. Your problem is very common so most technicians will order a new heatsink, thermal pads (for the RAM module and GPU) and new video cards because we found out that the liquid in the heatsink (yes, old heatsink has liquid!) is gone so they don't do anything. The video card is also very finicky due to lack of proper cooling.

Since your machine is from the 2010, you have to seriously consider if you want to invest in fixing this thing, Toshiba won't likely can supply you with any parts due to its age, you will have to find used ones but you might come back to the same issue. With Toshiba's poor reputation on the Qosmio line from the G, then Q and the later X series, I would say you take the loss and get something else instead.
(12-30-2016, 01:22 PM)killer23d Wrote: [ -> ]Your problem is unlikely a BIOS issue, the fans are thermally controlled based on temperature. Basically the fan speed will increase when it's hot. If you have cleared the heatsink and fans of dust, re-applied thermal paste on BOTH the CPU and GPU, and it still shut down, the problem is something else. Replacing a fan will not fix your problem.

I am a Toshiba tech so I know the Qosmio is a technician nightmare, many Qosmio has multiple video cards. Your problem is very common so most technicians will order a new heatsink, thermal pads (for the RAM module and GPU) and new video cards because we found out that the liquid in the heatsink (yes, old heatsink has liquid!) is gone so they don't do anything. The video card is also very finicky due to lack of proper cooling.

Since your machine is from the 2010, you have to seriously consider if you want to invest in fixing this thing, Toshiba won't likely can supply you with any parts due to its age, you will have to find used ones but you might come back to the same issue. With Toshiba's poor reputation on the Qosmio line from the G, then Q and the later X series, I would say you take the loss and get something else instead.

So my best bet would be to buy new heat sinks for the gpu and cpu?
i dont want to speend more money than i have too.
could i lower screen resalution so the graphics card wount have to work as hard?
(12-30-2016, 02:06 PM)mice960 Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-30-2016, 01:22 PM)killer23d Wrote: [ -> ]Your problem is unlikely a BIOS issue, the fans are thermally controlled based on temperature. Basically the fan speed will increase when it's hot. If you have cleared the heatsink and fans of dust, re-applied thermal paste on BOTH the CPU and GPU, and it still shut down, the problem is something else. Replacing a fan will not fix your problem.

So my best bet would be to buy new heat sinks for the gpu and cpu?
i dont want to speend more money than i have too.
could i lower screen resalution so the graphics card wount have to work as hard?

The Qosmio can run at about 70-80C, get an IR thermometer so you have an idea if the cooling system works. Most laptop runs normal between 40-60C.

Does the fan go on full speed before shutting down? If no, then there is a problem with either the motherboard or video card. It's a power related issue.

Before going out to buy anything, I would test for hardware issue first. I would turn the machine on and leave it in the BIOS screen and time it to find out how long does it take to shut down. Note the time and temperature then boot to Windows and let it sit and wait for it to shut down, if the time is about the same on both Windows and BIOS, then it's likely to be a power related issue as well.

Finally, this can be tricky. Get a can of compress air, invert the can upside down (so frost comes out when you spray it), turn the machine on, wait for it, when it's about to shut down (based on previous timing), spray some frost on the heatsink (both CPU and GPU) to cool it down and notice if there is a difference. With the use of IR thermometer, you can get as read out of the temperature. Like I said, it should be comfortable at 40-60C. If it still shuts down at these range, then we know the laptop is bad.

Obviously, the use of compress air is only possible if the heatsink of the GPU and CPU is exposed, otherwise I would not recommend you to power up a laptop without its case.

Please check your PM. I've sent you some info.
Since the issue is probably a temperature sensor I want to be able to control the fans. If I run the fans max and it keeps the gpu and cpu cool then I'll be able to use it as as laptop. I'm not ready to spend 80-300$.