Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Please check if i did something wrong (bios modding) :)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey,

I modded the bios for my samsung rc-530 laptop using this tutorial: https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-G...EFI-Aptio4 . I only changed stuff that looked useful to me to USER instead of default (i want to disable iGPU and use an external gpu with a GDC EXP adapter, also i want to enable cpu overclockability when i'm modding the BIOS anyways). I'm just wondering if i can mess this up? Like is it possible that i change something i shouldn't to USER and is messes something up?

Also i have another question. How do i know if i have APTIO 4?

Also one last thing. I'm using an external keyboard (steelseries g6 v2 if it matters) because my laptop keyboard is broken. Will this be a problem?

Thanks, BiosNoob
I wouldn't disable the igpu unless you have a dedicated one build into your laptop. I don't know anything about APTIO 4. The external keyboard shouldn't be an issue. You can change everything to USER and I don't think there would be an issue but I wouldn't know. Just don't disable your iGPU. I don't know if a GDC EXP works with bios and if it doesn't, you won't be able to do anything until you boot into an OS.
(01-26-2017, 01:36 PM)Aaronius Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't disable the igpu unless you have a dedicated one build into your laptop. I don't know anything about APTIO 4. The external keyboard shouldn't be an issue. You can change everything to USER and I don't think there would be an issue but I wouldn't know. Just don't disable your iGPU. I don't know if a GDC EXP works with bios and if it doesn't, you won't be able to do anything until you boot into an OS.

Oh ok, but if i do disable iGPU, can i go back to bios and enable it if it doesn't work or does it mess up everything? I do have a dedicated gt540 but i've uninstalled the drivers since i'm using a 780 with the gdc exp (which doesn't seem to work that well sinde i barely get more fps. Might be cpu bottleneck) The gdc exp is connected to the pcie port that the lan card used to be connected to btw.

Thank you so much for the help btw. Smile
(01-26-2017, 02:07 PM)BiosNoob Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-26-2017, 01:36 PM)Aaronius Wrote: [ -> ]I wouldn't disable the igpu unless you have a dedicated one build into your laptop. I don't know anything about APTIO 4. The external keyboard shouldn't be an issue. You can change everything to USER and I don't think there would be an issue but I wouldn't know. Just don't disable your iGPU. I don't know if a GDC EXP works with bios and if it doesn't, you won't be able to do anything until you boot into an OS.

Oh ok, but if i do disable iGPU, can i go back to bios and enable it if it doesn't work or does it mess up everything? I do have a dedicated gt540 but i've uninstalled the drivers since i'm using a 780 with the gdc exp (which doesn't seem to work that well sinde i barely get more fps. Might be cpu bottleneck) The gdc exp is connected to the pcie port that the lan card used to be connected to btw.

You should be fine then. Just backup your bios or check your manufacturer's website to get it. I would also pick up an SOIC8 clip and SPI programmer if you want to be safe. If this is your only computer (chromebooks don't count because they are limited), definitely don't do it because if you don't have anything to drive your SPI programmer and you [censored] up, you are in a bad position. You could pick up a raspberry pi though and get a SPI programmer that works with linux. You will probably be fine though. I am just a bit overcautious because I have screwed up a bios before and have the equipment to fix it coming tomorrow. You could upload your bios to another thread and have someone who knows more than me confirm.
(01-26-2017, 05:32 PM)Aaronius Wrote: [ -> ]

You should be fine then. Just backup your bios or check your manufacturer's website to get it. I would also pick up an SOIC8 clip and SPI programmer if you want to be safe. If this is your only computer (chromebooks don't count because they are limited), definitely don't do it because if you don't have anything to drive your SPI programmer and you [censored] up, you are in a bad position. You could pick up a raspberry pi though and get a SPI programmer that works with linux. You will probably be fine though. I am just a bit overcautious because I have screwed up a bios before and have the equipment to fix it coming tomorrow. You could upload your bios to another thread and have someone who knows more than me confirm.
Ok, I think i'll flash it today. This is not my only computer and not my daily driver (i'm just planning on using it for LANs) so it's not too bad if it bricks as long as i can fix it with a programmer. Also what did you do wrong (so i dont do the same thing haha Smile )? 

And again, thank you so much for the help! Big Grin
(01-27-2017, 11:04 AM)BiosNoob Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-26-2017, 05:32 PM)Aaronius Wrote: [ -> ]

Ok, I think i'll flash it today. This is not my only computer and not my daily driver (i'm just planning on using it for LANs) so it's not too bad if it bricks as long as i can fix it with a programmer. Also what did you do wrong (so i dont do the same thing haha Smile )? 

And again, thank you so much for the help! Big Grin

If you want to know what I did wrong, I was messing with intel management engine. I wasn't on the same model laptop as you have but it is still something you shouldn't do unless you know what you are doing.