Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: [Unlock Request] DELL XPS A2010
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

recently i started to dig a bit more inside the DELL XPS A2010, its a quite nice all-in-one computer but with very narrow upgrade options. I changed the cpu to Q6600 from a dual core which was already a great upgrade but also i would like to upgrade the GPU. Right now the system is running ATI HD2400 256mb GPU stacked inside a MXM II slot, removable. According to the chipset information the PCI is x16 v1.1 which should be compatible also with 2.0 cards, however i got a FX770m which a nvidia 512mb card but couldnt even boot, strange beep sound coming from the machine Smile. Hence, i was wondering if the BIOS is not locked only to a particular GPU from DELL and if there is any possibility to check if the BIOS has a whitelist for the GPU or not and remove this restriction.

In addition, it seems like the MOBO can handle also CPU above the Q6600 like Q8400 but it looks its restricted, maybe. Its possible to unlock this?, by updating the intel microcode? Or any other way.

here is the latest bios for the machine: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/0...Id=R215335

edit (1): Forgot to post the Vendor/Device id for the ATI and the new nVidia GPU, bellow

Dell HD 2400 mobility
Vendor Id: 0x1002
Device Id: 0x94C9

FX770M
Vendor Id: 0x10DE
Device Id: 0x065C

edit (2): Found an old thread about this (https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-d...ight=A2010). This answers my question if there is a whitelist but unfortunately the mod was deleted.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

best regards, Tomas
Unluckily nobody answered but digging into this i found the position of the DEV/VEN and SUBSYS of the original ATI card. Maybe someone could help me just with this: its enough to change the DEV/VEN and SUBSYS to the new card? 

i was looking for this: Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_94C9&SUBSYS_02261028&REV_00
see attached picture.

thx