Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Precision M6600 encrypted bios
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I remember a while back that some attempts were made at modding the bios on the M6600 series from dell.

I think the conclusion was that they are encrypted or use a proprietary table setup in the bios itself.

Has this changed and if it hasn't what can be done? Thanks.
Any update on this? Willing to work with anyone on this; would even pay for results.

Thanks!
Any update?
Do you have flash programmer? Looks editable to me, but may take a few initial test methods first before we find correct method to enable more menu sections. If you have flash programmer, please post image of your BIOS now, so all main sections are visible.

If you do not have flash programmer (Ch341A) and SOIC8 test clip cable, order those now and post back when they arrive. It's only $3 and $2.50
PhoenixTool can unpack this exe-file.
BTW: it looks like AMI Aptio IV BIOS. So you can try to dump current BIOS by afudos.
Yes, I dumped 4MB BIOS with python from the exe, it can be edited in AMI tools, and via module extraction etc, so I think progress can be made with this BIOS after a few test trying different methods.

I agree, dumped BIOS may be best/safest one to edit too, thanks for the suggestion DeathBringer
Try to make a dump of the BIOS with AFU, from command line or DOS
AFU /O bios.bin

https://ami.com/en/download-license-agre...tility.zip
I honestly forgot about this thread. I have a programmer that I used to flash a dell Vbios onto a 7970M MXM card for this laptop.
I also have a spare M6600 that I can test a modded bios on.
Since you have a programmer, post a dumped BIOS and lets play around and see how it goes. Or, I can edit the BIOS I extracted, up to you?
I assume it will be fine, I was helping user with M6700 and several different mods, including unlocking MSR 194 unlock over here if you want to read the progress as we edited, should be OK to mod!

The M6700 board has 4MB + 8MB BIOS, so if this one does too, maybe best to edit a dump instead via AFU, or FPT I think will give 12MB dump, or Programmer per chip (I can combine, or we leave as 4MB/8MB)
(11-08-2018, 01:03 AM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: [ -> ]Since you have a programmer, post a dumped BIOS and lets play around and see how it goes.  Or, I can edit the BIOS I extracted, up to you?
I assume it will be fine, I was helping user with M6700 and several different mods, including unlocking MSR 194 unlock over here if you want to read the progress as we edited, should be OK to mod!  

The M6700 board has 4MB + 8MB BIOS, so if this one does too, maybe best to edit a dump instead via AFU, or FPT I think will give 12MB dump, or Programmer per chip (I can combine, or we leave as 4MB/8MB)

Alright, I will tear down the laptop soon and look for the bios chips.
Sorry for the delay but the holidays can be brutal!  Wink
So I purchased a used M6600 motherboard ($65 on Fleabay) as a replacement and dumped both bios chips.
The first chip is a Winbond W25Q16 and the second is a MXIC MX25L6406E, however my Flashcat detected it as a Winbond W25Q64FW.
I'm not sure what bios version this is but it will be in the laptop soon and I can run the Dell Bios update utility.
I will also dump after updating the bios.
Hope this helps!
The current motherboard posts the LED code for a CPU error. 
However, it will boot up after restart and only happens on cold boot.
System is also sluggish even after fresh imaging. 
And a used system pull board was only $65 on Fleabay.

Picture in link and bios dumps attached.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YrRfOfp...sp=sharing
Pages: 1 2