Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: HP Pavilion TX1000 Series :: GPU Issue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, and thank you for choosing to read this. I am currently negotiating my way through an overheating issue, as described here:
HP Pavilion tx1000 - Undervolting GPU

Originally broached (and ignored) here:
HP Pavilion Tx1000, Tx2000 Phoenix Bios

My laptop is the HP Pavilion tx1305us, which originally had the following specs:
  • AMD Turion 64 x2  TL58 :: 1.9 GHz
  • NVidia GeForce Go 6150 :: NVIDIA nForce Go 430 chipset *
  • 2 GB (2x 1 GB SODIMM) :: DDR2 667MHz RAM
  • 2.5-inch Hard Disk Drive :: 80 GB SATA
  • OEM  Operating  System :: Windows 7, Home Edition, 32-bit
However, I got tired of dealing with underwhelming memory restraints and tried to improve my laptop a tad:
  • AMD Turion 64 x2  TL60 :: 2.0 GHz
  • NVidia GeForce Go 6150 :: NVIDIA nForce Go 430 chipset *
  • 3 GB (1x 1GB + 1x 2GB) :: DDR2 667MHz RAM
  • 2.5-inch Hard Disk Drive :: 256 GB SATA
  • Current Operating System :: Windows 10, Pro Edition, 64-bit

* Consistent between upgrades

BIOS can be downloaded on this page from HP's website by clicking on the expandable section labeled BIOS, which provides this file. Here are the details:
  • BIOS Version :: F.1E
  • Supported OS :: Windows Vista (64-bit)
  • Release Date :: March 11, 2008
  • BIOS Details ::
    "This package contains the WinFlash utility and a System BIOS image for the supported notebook models and operating systems. The WinFlash utility is used to locally flash the System BIOS (ROM) on notebooks operating in a Microsoft Windows Vista environment."

I've managed to underclock and undervolt my CPU just fine using RightMark. However, I cannot get my GPU to stay cool. PowerStrip doesn't work either - it always has invalid readings and clocks listed in its settings when I pull it up. The laptop GPU is unbearably hot, as always, and sometimes causes a forced shutdown. As you can probably tell from the forum link I posted above, I am thinking of modding the case, but that is reserved for if all else fails and if it simply can't work as a laptop anymore.

I'd rather try BIOS modding first if I can. This is due to the fact that if I do mess up flashing the BIOS, I know of a way to flash the previous working BIOS in such a case. The Wi-Fi card is dead from what I can tell, so I can just grab a new  one - if the slot isn't white-listed. The ethernet port is also non-functional - but I never used that until I got to my current college, whose Wi-Fi and ethernet are dodgy AF. Therefore, ethernet is not the main concern (an Expresscard adapter can be used to remedy this).

I'd rather not chuck this thing in the garbage - it still has the ability to perform normal tasks (like word processing, light gaming, media consumption - netbook things). It still boots into Windows and the motherboard still works (for the most part). I even have thought of giving this thing more RAM to handle heavier, memory-bound workloads. But, I have to find a way to get this GPU to either Undervolt or Underclock (if not both). Can anyone help? I'm willing to experiment on the thing if necessary - it's not one of my main fleet machines.

I have multiple laptops, and they're all encrypted clones of each other, to help in streamlining troubleshooting and applying updates. 2 Macbooks, 2 Windows Pro laptops. If you need any more info, I'm game. Please help.

Edit :: The WiFi works off-and-on, so I'm now convinced that the primary issue is the motherboard, and not the WiFi card. Still could use some help if there's any available...