Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Xeons 5600 series & Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
No more ideas...
I have one: modded BIOS. Can sSpec mod Award BIOS?
sSpec is Sample-Specification Number
Oh, well…

Then can you help me update the microcodes in the BIOS myself?
Suitable microcode is already in current BIOS.
Six years ago I was modifying the BIOS of my MB EX58-UD3R rev 1.6. I built more updated firmware on cpu, raid, network and tried to always find and install the latest BIOS version. Now I have an installed version of Fk2. Whose modification is this I do not remember. But with this version of BIOS, Westmere-EP Intel Xeon E5649 works fine for me. CPU overclocked to 4Ghz with FSB 200Mhz but in daily life I don't use high frequencies all the time. If you are interested in my BIOS version then write me about it.
(03-09-2019, 06:09 PM)Faceoffhvv Wrote: [ -> ]Six years ago I was modifying the BIOS of my MB EX58-UD3R rev 1.6. I built more updated firmware on cpu, raid, network and tried to always find and install the latest BIOS version. Now I have an installed version of Fk2. Whose modification is this I do not remember. But with this version of BIOS, Westmere-EP Intel Xeon E5649 works fine for me. CPU overclocked to 4Ghz with FSB 200Mhz but in daily life I don't use high frequencies all the time. If you are interested in my BIOS version then write me about it.

Hi, I'm new to this forum but not to overclocking or x58. After running my trusty i7 920 on a Gigabyte EX58-UD3R for a full decade, most of the time on bios FK, I finally decided to give it a last bump before retirement and bought a Xeon X5687 on ebay. I chose the model of cpu knowing that I don't really need 6 cores as it's not running many threads, but I could really use the full 12MB of L3 and one of the fastest (if not the fastest) stock clocked speed on the platform. I have no interest in overclocking at this point, all I care about is to make it stable and capable of running VMWare Workstation 15 (which is not an option on pre-westmere cpus).
As seems to happen to others, the pc takes a long time to begin POSTing (many seconds) and almost always starts with an "overclock failed" message when no overclock was performed, even after resetting the cmos or loading defaults. However, after pressing any key to skip the warning the system runs flawlessly. The PSU is good (~3yo), memory is good (24GB DDR3 1866) and all clocks on stock or less (memory runs at 1333), all running up until today perfectly and non-overclocked for at least 5 years.

Enough intro, now to the facts:
I have no interest in overclocking this mobo, as it's working as a server I need to know it will reboot even if I'm not there to press any key, in fact it normally it has no display/keyboard attached.
I've dealt with modded bioses back in the day, but never got into modding myself and I'm rusty in a lot of the needed details. I'll try stock bios FF as recomended to see if boots ok, but also if you Faceoffhvv could share your modded bios that is known to run ok with a 5600 family cpu, I'll also gladly try it. Thanks in advance!
Pages: 1 2 3 4