Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Toshiba Satellite M300 (Phoenix BIOS)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello! I've got an old Toshiba Satellite M300 PSMDCC-03400Q that was given to me with nearly no signs of life. I've been fixing computers for about twenty years so after ruling out the usual hardware failures like bad power, memory or overheating/failed chips I thought I would try restoring the BIOS.

While I've tracked down specs at http://209.167.114.38/support/TechSuppor...03400Q.htm that specify it's a Phoenix BIOS, it appears that Toshiba does not have the BIOS file available for download on their support sites.

To complicate matters, according to the service manual, you need both a floppy disk with the BIOS update as well as a "USB doggle" which you insert and then turn on the laptop without any key combo for the BIOS flash to work. 

I can't get any activity on a USB floppy with any keypress. A FAT-formatted USB stick doesn't indicate any activity beyond the initial blink that happens. I'm intrigued that when I hold down Fn-Esc I get a blinking power light, but the other usual key presses like Fn-B, Win-B or Fn-F don't seem to have an effect.

I'm wondering - does this BIOS file exist somewhere? Does anyone know what the Toshiba service technician's "USB doggle" does exactly? I'm thinking that even if I do track down the correct file the usual WINCRIS method may not work here.