Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Problem flashing XPS 730 from DOS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Problem flashing XPS-730 bios as I want windows 10 eventually and cannot get 10 from Dells 2.0 slic (VISTA)

I used XPS730-010006.EXE /writeromfile to get a06.bin.  Using that award tool I replaced (hopefully) the 2.0 slic with 2.1

Have problem flashing using AWDFLASH 8.94, something is wrong, not sure what it is or how to fix it.

For a boot USB I used rufus 2.17 and installed freedos on a 32mb flash.  This booted up just fine on my XPS 730 motherboard (new $50 from eBay)

I first noticed something strange:  Any attempt to rename, save, copy a file causes a "write protect" warning, but the operation actually gets performed.  I just have to keep pressing "A" for (A)bort to finally get back to the DOS prompt.  A directory listing shows the operation (rename, save, copy etc) worked.

Anyway, I tried the following and got the error as shown below
awdflash A06SLIC.BIN BACKUP.BIN /QI

System must be reset afterwards as it hung.

Unless someone has a suggestion, I will dig out from my attic a copy of "8" that was never used and install "8", then upgrade to Windows 10 using Microsoft's "assistive technology" upgrade.  It is a waste of "8" but that was wasted when I bought it.

[Image: 730fail.jpg]

Thanks for looking!

[EDIT]  I do have a 1.44 floppy USB and could boot dos 6 but these files are big and I don't see how to do the backup at the same time as the flash as they both wont fit on the floppy.

[EDIT2]  Tried lastest Rufus 2.18 that just came out but same problem.  I have since given up on the SLIC 2.1 upgrade as I was able to install 8 and then activate windows 10 using that still free upgrade. Since my copy of 8 was full retail, I guess I can continue to do this any time in the future since "8" was uninstalled when 10 was put in.

Interesting discovery:  I was able to boot my core 2 quad in the xps 730 with 12gb of memory.  Bios shows 250mb but windows 10 recognized all 12gb.  Nvidia's 790i chipset did something right.