Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: 64-bit EFI for Cherry Trail Mini-PC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello!

I have an unbranded Cherry Trail Mini-PC with an Intel Atom x5-Z8300, currently running Windows 10 32-bit.

I would like to install a 64-bit operating system, but EFI is 32-bit only, as there's an error message saying: 
Code:
Image type X64 is not supported by this IA32 shell

There are many similar products that received a BIOS update in order to support 64-bit operating systems, meaning that with some modding it should be possible to add 64-bit EFI.

I attached the original BIOS, which is Aptio V, dumped with AMI Firmware Update and Intel's Flash Programming Tool.

Best regards and thanks in advance.
Here you can find both the 32-bit and 64-bit BIOS for a very similar Mini-PC, in the third post.
Good news!

I flashed Beelink's 64-bit BIOS and... everything works as expected!

The only downside is that this BIOS is completely locked up, aside from the date/time and Boot options, even if AMIBCP shows that all of the entries have Default as Access/Use.

Could someone take a look at it and see why most of the options are hidden, please?

Thanks in advance.
Bad news!

I replaced the microcode in the BIOS with the latest one and flashed it using the EFI shell.

The PC doesn't boot anymore.

I guess I'll have to buy an SPI Programmer and re-flash the working BIOS.
I managed to flash Beelink's BIOS again using a CH341A programmer, thanks to this guide.

The BIOS chip is a Winbond W25Q64FW, which is 1.8V. The majority of programmers are 3.3V, thus a voltage converter is needed.
I bought the CH341A programmer with a 1.8V voltage adapter and a SOIC clip from here.

I think I'm going to keep the Mini-PC as it is, but if someone posts a modded BIOS I'm available to test it.

Best regards.