Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Update HP pavilion g6-2220sf BIOs : safe to use another board model?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I'm having some problems with the fans of an HP pavilion g6-2220sf BIOS (mother board 188F, Insyde BIOS F.12 (08/29/2012)) : they are always turning at full speed. I tried everything I have in mind (like reseting the bios to factory, modify the EC registers, installing Cool'n'quiet, disable the Bios option "Fans always On"), except one thing: update the BIOS.

So here it is. I tried to download the files from the HP website (you need to select Windows 8, Windows 8.1 does not have any bios update). Because Windows was not installed on my system (since, I installed it back just to update the BIOS), I used 7z to extract the .exe. Inside I found a list of .exe and .dll, and two .bin:

- 01847F2A.bin
- 0188DF2A.BIN

However, if I read the name correctly, this corresponds to the BIOS F.2A of the mother boards 1847 and 188D. But mine is 188F, and I cannot find any other website to download the good bios for 188F. I tried to feed the UEFI Bios included flash software with these two .bin, but it did not work, and for now on Windows I don't see any error... But I'm afraid to brick my BIOS if I use these files (and because I don't even have a copy of my BIOS (is it even possible to do ?) I'm still more afraid to try that).

What do you think? I'm quite new to BIOS hacks, but any advice, any technical information to explain me why it would (or would not) work, or even alternative "mods" would be really appreciated!

Thank you!
I finally updated the tools with the HP program. The flash was done without any trouble, but unfortunately the fan problem has not been solved, and the bios looks exactly the same... If someone has another version of the BIOS that is supposed to solve the fan always on trouble, please let me know!