Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: $250 BOUNTY: Intel Compute Stick BIOS mod needed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Did you already receive the Willem? If yes, didn't it come with a manual? If not, maybe they have link on that ebay listing, or at least some diagram to show you what all the jumpers/switches are etc.
Yep, I already got it.

I'll get the manual for it from Kee.

Steve
Hello LnB,

What do you think of Kee's advice for my 1.8v SPI?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:
Re: user manual or documentation
Date:
2019-04-10 22:28
Ken F <ken@keeelectronics.com>
To:
steve@vwebr.net

The 12-dipswitch is for those parallel EPROM and flash chips.  Remove the jumper labeled Enable 3.6V, so the Vcc will be 3.6v, your SPI chip should survive under 3.6V.

Thanks !

Ken

On Wednesday, April 10, 2019, 9:24:30 PM PDT, support@keeelectronics.com <support@keeelectronics.com> wrote:

Hi, Steve !

In the software CD, the electronic guide does have a simple and easy guide to how to setup and use SPI part of the programmer.  please check it out.  For SPI chips, there is only one jumper you need to move from EPROM to SPI side in order to enable SPI EEPROM programming.

Best,

Ken

On Wednesday, April 10, 2019, 9:19:45 PM PDT, <steve@vwebr.net> wrote:

Hello Kee,
I hope this will be my last request for help.
Do you have a user manual or documentation for the Willem PCB 6.0E LPT?
I have to find out how to set the jumpers or dip switches on it for the 1.8v MX25U6435F SPI chip I'm dumping firmware from and will later be flashing new firmware to.
I did find the software for it and downloaded already.
Thank you!
Steve Sybesma
I think that means you can't use it / it's not compatible with 1.8V chip - sure it might survive, but may also damage it = not suggested. It may also corrupt the dump or writing, not ideal at all.
Specs say 1.65v-2.0V normal operating range and page 77-79 it appears VCC+0.5V is absolute max and may cause permanent damage as I mentioned

Link them this sheet and ask again about 3.6V - I would be scared to use normal BIOS voltage of 3.3V on a 1.8v chip
http://www.macronix.com/Lists/Datasheet/...20v1.5.pdf

Their answer sounds like lame way of getting around not saying "Our device is not compatible with 1.8V chips, sorry, all the bells and whistles and we forgot 1.8v switch" Big Grin

It's probably too old, designed for older BIOS, since standard as they said is 3.6V, this is above todays normal BIOS voltage ranges even, back to my original suggestion >> Use cheap $2 CH341A + 1.8V adapter Big Grin
OK, I'll take your advice and not use it for the time being.  Too risky.

I sent him an email asking him to take a look at the PDF you gave the link for along with your questions.
That's what I would do, especially since you can't easily solder to replace if you kill it.
I didn't have any questions, for you to send them I mean Big Grin
(04-11-2019, 12:30 AM)Lost_N_BIOS Wrote: [ -> ]That's what I would do, especially since you can't easily solder to replace if you kill it.
I didn't have any questions, for you to send them I mean Big Grin

Yeah, they must think I'm flashing brand new unused chips.

20% get fried, no big deal.  Too big a chance.
They maybe aren't familiar with 1.8v chips, they are fairly new in the scope of BIOS chips used by mainstream hardware. And in general, some IC's like dram can take a lot more voltage than they are rated for, like 1.5V memory is still fine to run 2.1V all day long, not ideal but wont damage it (Now, CPU/mem controller in those cases is different story)

Even without looking at the spec sheet, I know 1.65-1.8V is operating voltage, so I'd feel OK with 2-2.5V for some short period (possible data corruption aside) and that's not ideal either, but it's right at absolute max, and 3.3-3.6 is very far over absolute max. They may be correct, some chips could survive that for short periods, and have a shorter lifespan I'm sure, but I bet 99% of the time on read/write there would be corruption so you'd end up killing it having to take so long reading and writing over and over again trying to get a proper read/write Big Grin
Yep...regardless I'll probably keep the Willem in case I get into this hobby more in the future.
I may want to see what can be done with a Dell BIOS in my Latitude E6400 laptop for instance.
(I don't have anything specific in mind, just sayin'.)
If not, you can resell on ebay, or other computer forums (not sure if we have sales section here?)
Dell BIOS >> CH341A Smile All BIOS >> CH341A Big Grin
Dell BIOS you may be able to make some hidden settings visible, update option roms, update ucodes etc.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14