Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Thinkad X1 Extreme TDP Limit change
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi I was wondering if it's possible to change the TDP limit for the i7-8750H inside the Thinkpad X1 Extreme from 80C to around 95C when Hyper-V (and VT-d) is enabled.
More details here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-...-p/4339151
Apparently some kind of "Embedded controller" keeps resetting the setting the MSR_TEMPERATURE_TARGET  register to 0x14 instead of the usual 0x03 or so every 5 secs. While it's possible to reset it from within LINUX, it needs to be done repeatedly every 5 secs. If Hyper-V is enabled under Windows 10, it's not possible to change, because the kernel suddenly does not have access to that register. Hence the request to modify the BIOS.

Related questions: assuming someone can do this change in a professional way,
1. Will it void my warranty? Is it provable that I have flashed a custom BIOS, even if I revert to a stock BIOS later (see question below)?
2. After flashing a custom BIOS, is it possible to upgrade to a newer 'stock' bios?
3. How much for this work + unlocking the advanced settings (BTW: can anyone post a screenshot to see what is in the advanced section - if it's of any interest for me). I do have the necessary eq to DUMP the BIOS, although haven't done it yet.

Thanks.
(08-11-2019, 02:25 AM)notabenem Wrote: [ -> ]Hi I was wondering if it's possible to change the TDP limit for the i7-8750H inside the Thinkpad X1 Extreme from 80C to around 95C when Hyper-V (and VT-d) is enabled.
More details here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-...-p/4339151
Apparently some kind of "Embedded controller" keeps resetting the setting the MSR_TEMPERATURE_TARGET  register to 0x14 instead of the usual 0x03 or so every 5 secs. While it's possible to reset it from within LINUX, it needs to be done repeatedly every 5 secs. If Hyper-V is enabled under Windows 10, it's not possible to change, because the kernel suddenly does not have access to that register. Hence the request to modify the BIOS.

Related questions: assuming someone can do this change in a professional way,
1. Will it void my warranty? Is it provable that I have flashed a custom BIOS, even if I revert to a stock BIOS later (see question below)?
2. After flashing a custom BIOS, is it possible to upgrade to a newer 'stock' bios?
3. How much for this work + unlocking the advanced settings (BTW: can anyone post a screenshot to see what is in the advanced section - if it's of any interest for me). I do have the necessary eq to DUMP the BIOS, although haven't done it yet.

Thanks.
Hi
Your bios is rewrite protected
Bios mod can be flashed using SPI-programmer+SOIC8 clip only
as I said, I do have the necessary eq (Arduino board, SOIC8 clip) to perform the read/write.
(08-11-2019, 02:35 AM)notabenem Wrote: [ -> ]as I said, I do have the necessary eq (Arduino board, SOIC8 clip) to perform the read/write.
Make bios dump...check your PM