Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: HP DV7 6163CL - BIOS RECOVERY - NEED SOME HELP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello there.

A few years ago I flashed a bios from camiloml with advanced menus enabled on my hp dv7 6163cl, and changed what I needed to change and never even entered my bios for a few years.

Last week, I was working on my notebook, and after I was done I turned it off normally, by selecting turn off on windows and left.

The next day, when I came back I turned it on and I had no video, not even the back light turns on. On the other hand, I can hear the FAN and the caps lock key keeps blinking indefinitely which, from what I read is a sign of bios corruption.

I went to HP website, downloaded the BIOS file for my notebook (https://whp-aus2.cold.extweb.hp.com/pub/...p55068.exe) and placed the bios file name 01658.bin on a flash drive, named it HP_TOOLS (original hard drive with original hp recovery long replaced with a SSD and recovery partition lost), placed it on my notebook's usb port, and turned it on by pressing winkey+b.

I saw the flashdrive activity light blinking a few times and then nothing happens. After some research I read that perhaps I need to place the bios inside a certain folder of name it with a certain name... I don't know, too many different sugestions, none worked so far.

I saw camoloml's post on hp's bios recovery but all links there are down (dropbox) and I could not find out what I need to do to recover my bios.

So, I asking you guys for help, this notebook is a bit old, but it is bloody fast (i7+ssd) and I would like to recover it as it is very useful for my work.

Thanks in advance.