Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: BIOS mod for Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Subject: Dell XPS 720. Need to unlock a installed QX9650
i have upgraded the CPU recently upgraded from a Intel Core 2 QX6850 to a QX9650 which seems to run perfectly except that the overclock speed adjustment is locked in the bios. The QX9650 is a unlocked CPU and I have read that it is not supported by the XPS 720 bios or motherboard. I am looking for help in modifying the bios to unlock the QX9650. The motherboard is a Dell OEM BTX board red in color with a Foxconn LS-36 sticker on it. Further research also shows to be manufactured by DFI LANPARTY UT P45-T2RS. The chipset is the NVIDIA nForce 680i chipset based using freestyle Award BIOS IDs from what I gather.  There is also a reference to a Foxconn bios 723F1P14. EVGA also has a 680i motherboard.
Original Dell XPS 720 bios link: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/...erid=cjckm
The Nvidia nforce 750i SLI, 780i SLI and 790i SLI show to support the QX9650: https://www.nvidia.com/content/nforce700...U_List.pdf
Specs on both CPUs:
QX6850 (Kentsfield)
Sspec: SLAFN
Stepping: GO
Cupid: 06FB(h)?
LGA775 65nm 1333MHz

[attachment=18197][attachment=18198]

QX9650 (Yorkfield)
Sspec: SLAN3
Stepping: CO
Cupid: CO
LGA775 45nm 1333MHz

[attachment=18199]

[attachment=18200]

[attachment=18201]

I can only hope I have provided enough of the correct information needed. Thank you, Rocketdog
Try to use ThrottleStop to overclock CPU.
BTW: Unlocking BIOS is offtopic in this section.
(02-17-2020, 01:36 PM)DeathBringer Wrote: [ -> ]Try to use ThrottleStop to overclock CPU.
BTW: Unlocking BIOS is offtopic in this section.

Third party software to do a run around my issue? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of this forum?
At issue is not unlocking the bios, but modifying them to support a CPU. I can install a QX6850 and adjust the processor multiplier all day long as it is a supported CPU. The QX9650, which is also a unlocked CPU is not supported by the last issued bios by Dell and therefore cannot be unlocked in the bios. The tab to unlock and adjust the processor multiplier is greyed out. Hence I need a CPU support upgrade. But, maybe i am mistaken. If so, a suggestion of where this post belongs would be a whole lot more helpful.