Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: [Help] Add New UEFI Boot Entry // Asrock Rack C2750D4i w/EFI Spec 2.31
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there!  This is my first post, so I hope I am following the rules correctly and have this post in the right location and formatted correctly.

I have an ASRock Rack C2750D4i and I have just upgraded to ESXi 6.7.

The installer did not create a UEFI boot entry so it doesn't boot automatically, however I can get it to boot manually by entering UEFI and launching fs0:\EFI\BOOT\BOOTx64.EFI.  So I know that the OS itself installed correctly.

The problem is I cannot manually add a boot entry using bcfg or efibootmgr.  The EFI shell is running 2.3 with this UEFI, which supposedly comes with bcfg, but when I type:

Code:
help bcfg

I get unknown command.  If I type:

Code:
help ef*

I only have eficompress and efidecompress.  I have paged up/down through help and nothing is popping out at me.

ESXi was installed with a USB flash drive which was formatted using an ISO transferred with Rufus 3.11.  When I booted the machine I was able to select UEFI: Sandisk and the installer ran and installed the OS  This signifies to me that the installer launched in UEFI mode, and the flash drive was properly formatted.  I mention this as there are some comments around the web about laying down the image incorrectly using Rufus. I tried transferring via DD on MacOS, but then I couldn't get it to boot UEFI.  I don't have any physical Linux hosts.

Additionally, I have seen lots of posts of others having this issue, but they all have tools to edit their boot entries with their EFI shells. I have seen this KBA from VMWare, and this is still a problem for them for versions 6.5 through 7.0 software:

Host Fails to Boot After You Install ESXi in UEFI Mode
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-vSpher...A9979.html

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide!