Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: RAM limit on BIOS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!
I have an HP Pavilion dv7t-xw899av with an Intel Core I7-2860QM. My laptop uses DDR3L RAM modules, and I recently noticed Crucial invented a 32 GB (2x16GB) RAM pack, but I don't know if my BIOS will allow the system to read them at its complete capacity, or it will read them as a maximum of 16 GB. My BIOS is an InsydeH2O Version 03.60.48F.1B.
I'd like to know if there is a real limit because of the BIOS parameters or if I can install 32 GB of RAM without problems. 
Thank you!
I7-2860QM supports 1Gb, 2Gb, and 4Gb DDR3 DRAM technologies are supported for x8 and x16 devices.
So maximum size for one SODIMM is 8GB (4Gb x 16 = 64Gb = 8GB). If your laptop has two slots only, so you can use 16GB only.
Hi!
I don't understand exactly the point. So if my laptop doesn't support the 16 GB DDR3L module made by Crucial, I suppose practically any laptop as old as mine can so, what was the point of invent such a thing?
Maybe if I change my CPU could my laptop support it?
Thank you!
No way for this laptop.
Skylake and newer support such memory modules.