Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Old intel core duo 2 t9900 on a vaio vgn-fz38
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,
I have an old Sony vaio vgn fz38m from 2009 maybe and I'm trying to keep it alive as long as possible. It has some kind of sentimental value. So far I've changed GPU (defective nvidia), broken Blu ray player (replaced with bluray burner Big Grin btw does empty Blu ray even exist?) ram, and now it's time for CPU.

Previous CPU was Intel core duo 2 t8100 and I bought the t9900. Internet and official pages say it must work. But it's not. Lights are blinking but screen doesn't turn on.

I was wondering if BIOS needs an update but I can't find many information and I am new to this, so I am asking your help.

BIOS version is r2110j7.

Thanks a lot for any suggestion!!!

Enrico

Or it might be a defective CPU? Before asking for a replacement and send it back to China I want to be sure I am not missing something
(12-27-2021, 06:22 PM)Starlingc Wrote: [ -> ]Or it might be a defective CPU?
Who knows.
But the real reason the T9900 won't work on your laptop is the PM965 chipset. It supports CPU FSB frequencies up to 800MHz, while the new CPU has 1066MHz. The T8100 was already optimal.
Post a screenshot with Mainboard tab of CPU-Z.
here are information from cpuz
i was wondering if i can update to t9500 instead of t9900. fsb is 800 mhz on this one
T8100, T8300, T9300 and T9500 are recommended for this laptop.
Thanks a lot deathbringer and maxinator.
I got the wrong info when I bought the t9900!

I 'll ask if I can send it back to China and change it with a 9500. Otherwise I wasted some money but learned something. Thanks again

Enrico