Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: [Request] BIOS Mod for 1080p display for Lenovo B580?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone,

please forgive if this is the wrong place to ask.

I have got a Lenovo B580 and I would like to know if it is possible for this laptop to accept a 1080p display with a BIOS mod. I have a fitting display but it stays black (apart from the backlight).

The BIOS Specs of the machine are:

UEFI BIOS Version: H5ET39WW (1.12)
UEFI BIOS Date (Y-m-d): 2012-08-04
EC Version: H5EC28WW(1.08)
Machine Type Model: 20144

The website states that there is a newer version of the bios available but the tool reports that the BIOS is up to date.

Cheers
Zacki06
I don't think the problem is BIOS-related. What resolution was your old display? If it was 1366*768 (or something like that), it most likely used a single-channel eDP (or LVDS) cable to connect the panel. A single-channel cable is not capable of transmitting 1080p signal.

If there were models of B580 with FHD screens, you can try getting a dual-link cable from those models. You can probably find the part number you need from Lenovo's official service manual (they have a PDF for every model).

I hope this helps.
Hey, thanks for your reply!

The old panel was indeed 1366x786, and there are no models of this device that have a higher res panel. So I will see if I can reuse the cable from the new display.

Just hope that the HW is capable and I don't end up in a similar situation like the X220/230 where a HW mod is required.

Cheers