Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: Replacing BIOS in Vaio VGN-FZ21S
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,
Recently purchased this machine from ebay, but the serial number sticker has been removed, and the serial number in the BIOS shows as 12345678-1234567.

I can only presume this was done to install an OEM / hacked Operating system. I have since purchased a genuine version of Windows 7, but am expecting that I need a genuine serial number to install.

Anyway, what I am asking, does anyone know if the BIOS in these machines is socketed, and therefore easily switched over. If so, I'll purchase a duff motherboard and swap over.

Any help appreciated.
No, almost all laptop bioses are soldered onboard and replacing with another might not do the trick.

Anyways, I don't see what that has to do with Windows 7 installation and activation? If you have purchased a genuine retail copy of Win7, it should come with a serial number - the rest is just a (simple) process of activating the product.
(07-17-2010, 02:56 PM)presola Wrote: [ -> ]No, almost all laptop bioses are soldered onboard and replacing with another might not do the trick.

Anyways, I don't see what that has to do with Windows 7 installation and activation? If you have purchased a genuine retail copy of Win7, it should come with a serial number - the rest is just a (simple) process of activating the product.

Hi Presola,

Thanks for the super swift response. I had worried that may be the case.

Cheers, Lee