Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: ASRock D1800M & TPM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,
hope this is the right section of the forum.
I am an hobbyst and I have a nice D1800M (manual)  from asrock and got the 18 pin Asrock TPM2.0 module (ASRock TPM2-S TPM Module V2.0) but unfortunately even if the TPM menu entry are present the TPM isn't recognized by the latest bios with the message 'support turned off'. 
Asrock support wasn't helpful. I am already on the latest bios
The BIOS is 64Mb AMI UEFI Legal BIOS with GUI support. I understand that the board is TPM1.2 ready and doesn't recognize 2.0 and was nearly getting over it (tpm1.2 with 18 pins is nowhere to be found).
Then I saw that a very similar board (Q1900M, same in manual, quad core instead of dual core) had the TPM2.0 enabled in bios for q1900m. (please see 1.90A _>Support TPM 2.0 Function)
Then I got dsdt tpm where I see that the matter with the TPM not working in BIOS could be related to outdated ACPI tables, and more important like those tables could be extracted from a very similar board (q1900m should be the same board with different processor and slighty different bios, and I see that BIOS versions walk together for both board, even if the changelog of the latter  says it was updated to TPM2.0 and the former was not)
So my question is: could you point me in the right direction to try and see if updating those tables on d1800m could lead to a recognized TPM module? Seems a low hanging fruit. Is it?
Of course I will be willing to listen to other suggestions or directions, as I am fairly new to BIOS modding.
I would also appreciate if you could point me to forum resources which help to do the testing without endagering the mobo.
I have another board (a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H) with the same TPM2.0 issue, but this one as far as I know hasn't a very similar board with TPM 2.0 support ready so I will leave it for now.
Bye
[url=https://download.asrock.com/Manual/Q1900M.pdf][/url]
(03-06-2024, 09:02 AM)vokci49 Wrote: [ -> ]the matter with the TPM not working in BIOS could be related to outdated ACPI tables
And SMI modules too.
Replacing the original ones may be dangerous. First of all, do you know a working way of recovery?
(03-06-2024, 09:48 AM)Maxinator500 Wrote: [ -> ]And SMI modules too.
Replacing the original ones may be dangerous. First of all, do you know a working way of recovery?
This is precisely my concern. TPM is nice to have (for bitlocker, don't care much for W11) but bricking is a concern.
As now I don't have a precise idea on how to recover should it go wrong. Thanks
I'm not interested in trying to bring TPM 2 support to this machine if you cannot recover it from a bad flash.
I am willing to risk if it is a calculated risk, I concur with you
I understood what you mean for recovery strategy. https://www.bios-mods.com/bios-recovery/...-recovery/
I should have everything because in the past I recovered a Toshiba netbook with AMI and the floppy disk. I also kept my old 1Gb pendrives for the same purposes.
I still have the usb floppy/pens, but before losing anyone time I shall see if it still work and if I am able to enter in the recovery loop.
Thanks for the help so far, I will keep you posted.
Bye!