Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source

Full Version: General method to remove whitelist from Insyde BIOS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
(07-28-2011, 06:40 PM)camiloml Wrote: [ -> ]That seems the good one yes.

Hey can you help me get my computer back? I used your HP DM4-2070US bios and flashed my laptop and everything was working great for a while. I decided to install new ram in my laptop today and I went to run Memtest to check the new ram. I made a bootable flash drive with the memtest program on it, so all I did was go in the bios and change the boot order so it would boot from the flash drive. It rebooted and it tried to boot off of the usb drive and nothing happened. So I took the USB drive out and the laptop is dead. When it comes back the caps lock key keeps blinking twice every couple of seconds. According to HP this means Bios corruption.

Anyway to try to flash the bios, I downloaded the official bios, placed it in the root partition of the usb drive, I took the battery out, took it off ac power, held down the power button for about 20 seconds to do a hard reset, put the usb drive in, held down win+b, put the ac power in, and turned the laptop on. The usb drive flashed for a while, but then the caps lock key goes back to blinking and nothing happens. I've tried renaming the bios file, I downloaded this program called Andy's Tool from another site that told me to rename the bios to 1651.bin and place it in the HEWLETT-PACKARD\BIOS\Current folder and still nothing. I tried making multiple copies and using extensions fd, rom, and bin, still nothing.

Any other troubleshooting steps I can take short of contacting HP warranty? Not sure what went wrong when I switched the boot order.

Thanks for your help.

(08-01-2011, 07:38 PM)imontheedge Wrote: [ -> ]

Hey can you help me get my computer back? I used your HP DM4-2070US bios and flashed my laptop and everything was working great for a while. I decided to install new ram in my laptop today and I went to run Memtest to check the new ram. I made a bootable flash drive with the memtest program on it, so all I did was go in the bios and change the boot order so it would boot from the flash drive. It rebooted and it tried to boot off of the usb drive and nothing happened. So I took the USB drive out and the laptop is dead. When it comes back the caps lock key keeps blinking twice every couple of seconds. According to HP this means Bios corruption.

Anyway to try to flash the bios, I downloaded the official bios, placed it in the root partition of the usb drive, I took the battery out, took it off ac power, held down the power button for about 20 seconds to do a hard reset, put the usb drive in, held down win+b, put the ac power in, and turned the laptop on. The usb drive flashed for a while, but then the caps lock key goes back to blinking and nothing happens. I've tried renaming the bios file, I downloaded this program called Andy's Tool from another site that told me to rename the bios to 1651.bin and place it in the HEWLETT-PACKARD\BIOS\Current folder and still nothing. I tried making multiple copies and using extensions fd, rom, and bin, still nothing.

Any other troubleshooting steps I can take short of contacting HP warranty? Not sure what went wrong when I switched the boot order.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to say that I got my laptop to come back to life. All I had to do was take the CMOS battery out for about 5 minutes and then put it back in. The laptop booted back up and said there was a BIOS checksum error and that it had to be reset. It rebooted itself and everything was golden. I'm guessing it kept the modded bios intact because it was able to boot with my unauthorized wireless card installed.

Now I guess the question is why did changing the boot order in the bios cause it to crash like that? Any ideas? I kind of want to try it again, but I am scared.
Hello camiloml.
All versions of the BIOS that you corrected for me the great work. The problem was that my laptop is in principle not want to work with some WiFi cards (by Intel). The card that i inserted into the laptop it just is not physically seen. I got the other 2 broadcom cards and both work fine!

So you can add bios for HP Pavilion DV7 3090 notebook in your collection as tested and working.
You've already deleted the links to the BIOS. Here is a link to your bios from this message:
http://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Ge...1#pid30721

http://depositfiles.com/files/ph45juxcg

Thank you very much!!!

Thanks for the reply.

To change information in WinHex What I have to do?
Click on the 75 -> right click -> Select Edit -> Another windows open - > Select Modify Data ->The Modify Block Data Windows Open -> see picture (Modify Block Data.jpg) or something else.

Modify Block Data:
[Image: Modify_Block_Data.jpg]

Just click in front of 75 and write EB it should replace automatically.
(08-04-2011, 11:13 AM)camiloml Wrote: [ -> ]Just click in front of 75 and write EB it should replace automatically.

I did what you told me, it have gave me a FD file of 2.048 MB but when I try to format
with Insyde Flash I receive this Error Ec file size input error. I did a backup of the bios and the size is about 1.5 MB I loaded it on EzH20 and mod the 84 C0 75 now the message change there isn't any ROM file in this directory, I try again with the original modifies fd file the first message never come back I still receive the second message. What I'm doing wrong.

Thank again

(08-05-2011, 11:44 PM)SST-P Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-04-2011, 11:13 AM)camiloml Wrote: [ -> ]Just click in front of 75 and write EB it should replace automatically.

I did what you told me, it have gave me a FD file of 2.048 MB but when I try to format
with Insyde Flash I receive this Error Ec file size input error. I did a backup of the bios and the size is about 1.5 MB I loaded it on EzH20 and mod the 84 C0 75 now the message change there isn't any ROM file in this directory, I try again with the original modifies fd file the first message never come back I still receive the second message. What I'm doing wrong.

Thank again

Forget about those error I was able to write the bios with the original insyde software ( The Software that come with hp original ) Bios by renaming the fd file to bin file, even if I changed the 84 C0 75 to 84 C0 EB, I still receive the error 104.

The other 84 C0 75 is near the error 105 so I supposed it's not the right one?

What I did is: I put EB to replace the 75 press the save button in Winhex , switch
to EzH20 click on File and save the file to 70012.fd.

If you could check this fd file I will let's you a download link.

70012.fd (2.00 MB)]FD Files Download

thanks.

@SSt-P

This is no requests thread, if you request a whitelist removal create your own thread, it's too difficult look for requests into a discussion thread, i hope you understand. I can answer punctual doubts you have (like i did) in this thread. We must respect thread creator work and not to dirt his thread. Wink If you still try to do it yourself ask. Sorry i didn't download your file, but that captcha make me headache Wink
My apologies, just saw the last reply. Will make separate thread.
Hello all!! I would like to preface this post by saying that I am by no means a bios guru. I am a novice programmer, and I find assembly language extremely frustrating to work with. My post is simply to try and make some peoples attempts a little easier. I have stood on the backs of geniuses to make this solution possible, and it would be an extremely rude to not offer massive gratitude to andy, hspumanti, ttav134, camiloml, and yen for all of their hard work and knowledge. This method is for removing the whitelist from the 2 MB Insyde bios. This update to the guide is completely without warranty and has only been tested on the dv7-4267cl F.27 bios. ***This method will make any approved wireless module cause a failed boot***
The tools used were:

Andy's Tool v1.9
HxD Hex editor

Process:
**Remove your wireless card before proceeding to step 2**
1. Obtain the most recent bios from HP's website and extract the spXXXXX.exe
2. Use InsydeFlash to flash to desired bios version (un-modded)
3. Decrypt the original .bin file in the extracted directory using Andy's Tool
4. In Andy's Tool, click OK for the first two dialogs.
5. Before clicking the go button, select dynamic for the method and select do not
alter any ACPI tables, no SLIC, and allow user to modify other modules under
advanced settings.
6. Click GO. **Do not click OK on the third dialog until the mod is complete.**
7. Locate the ROM file containing the wireless module error using HxD. The ROM
files are located in the dump folder in the extracted directory.
7a. This can be a very time consuming process as you have to search each
ROM. The string is different than the original guide, and I searched for
the hex string <<6D 00 6F 00 64 00 75 00 6C 00 65 00>> until I found
the exact error message in the text pane of HxD.
7b. The exact ROM file for me was
91472655-50E0-4D81-9AF6-239E6F431B8C_2_614.ROM.
8. The code for the 2 MB bios is somewhat obfuscated, and no longer uses a
JNZ jump, but rather uses a JS jump. This calls a signed integer from the
ZF register to determine the result of the test as opposed to calling a test
result directly. The JS Hex value is <<0F 88>>, and the exact instance we
are looking for is the first instance in the module.
9. Replace the 88 with 89 (this changes the jump condition to switch the true and
false paths).
10. Click the save icon in HxD and close the program.
11. Click OK in the third dialog in Andy's tool.
12. Delete the original .bin file and remove the _SLIC from the new .bin file name.
13. Use a patched version of iscflash.dll and the corresponding InsydeFlash.exe
version to flash to the newly created .bin file.
14. Install your unapproved wireless card and enjoy Smile.

This works very well for me as I do not intend to install any HP approved WiFi card ever again. If my new card ever dies, I will spend extra to not ever use an approved card as opposed to switching back to any HP approved part. If this is not the case for you, do not use this process.

~Cheers
kbhaze
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26